This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Large Reports

2 Answers 106 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
danparker276
Top achievements
Rank 2
danparker276 asked on 10 Dec 2010, 07:32 PM
Some reports I need might be up to 2000 pages, mabye 100,000-200,000 data rows.  There are billing reports, mostly numbers and sums, no pictures.  I'm getting an error with over 1,000 rows, but that is probably due to my weak test server with not much memory.   The number of pages it can display depends on the amount of memory on the server right?  Sounds like 2,000 pages will be a problem no matter how much memory I have on the server. 
It really doesn't have to display it though, I could popup a message saying, 'report is too large to display, dumping to pdf'.  Would it be possible to just dump the report format to PDF?  Most of our clients just care about printing the reports, not looking at them.  I really like the telerik report designer.  Will SQL Server reporting services have this same issue?

We also have 1 report that might combine a bunch of subreports and be a total of 50,000 pages that the client would print out.  I'm guessing that would have to be written to pdf somehow, or is there a way to keep sending subreports to the printer?

Also it really doesn't matter if it's on asp.net or the silverlight viewer, it's still the same issue right?

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
danparker276
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 11 Dec 2010, 11:32 PM
If I use RenderReport to render to PDF instead of viewing, will that help with the memory.  Is RenderReport available for silverlight?
danparker276
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Dec 2010, 07:19 PM
It looks like SSRS keeps the reports in memory too, so SSRS wouldn't/shouldn't have an advantage over telerik reporting because it has it's own reports server?  The limit is just on the server's memory?  Performance(Speed) wise I don't care.  I'm going to do some testing of both once I get a better server. My inital problems were due to the amount of memory on my server.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
danparker276
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
danparker276
Top achievements
Rank 2
Share this question
or