This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Unable to launch recorder

5 Answers 117 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Radha
Top achievements
Rank 1
Radha asked on 25 Nov 2010, 07:35 AM

I just downloaded the trial of QA Edition & am attempting to record a test. My system is running IE7  I click "Start Recording" and IE opens up on the right side of my screen it showing blank window, but after a wait I get "Unable to launch recorder." in the status bar.

how to fix this problem..

it showing help window log given bellow code

[11:53 AM] - LogMessage: [11:53:17 AM] - WebUI Test Studio (version:2010.3.1109.0) started.
[11:56 AM] - ------- Function Start 'StandaloneHost.EditControlledFiles' -------
[11:56 AM] - Project is offline or uncontrolled; making files writeable
[11:56 AM] - ------- Function End 'StandaloneHost.EditControlledFiles' -------
[11:56 AM] - ------- Function Start 'StandaloneHost.EditControlledFiles' -------
[11:56 AM] - LogMessage: [11:56:48 AM] - Active Project is : 'TestProject5'
[11:56 AM] - LogMessage: [11:56:50 AM] - Project 'TestProject5' Created.
[11:57 AM] - ------- Function Start 'StandaloneHost.EditControlledFiles' -------
[11:57 AM] - Project is offline or uncontrolled; making files writeable
[11:57 AM] - ------- Function End 'StandaloneHost.EditControlledFiles' -------
[11:57 AM] - LogMessage: [11:57:21 AM] - Test 'New Test' selected.
[11:57 AM] - Error launching the recorder. Error : System.ApplicationException: Exception thrown attempting to launch Internet Explorer. Please make sure Internet Explorer is properly installed and you are able to launch it. Also make sure that WebAii Test Execution client is properly installed. Check Tools->Manage Add-ons. ---> System.TimeoutException: Wait for condition has timed out
   at ArtOfTest.Common.WaitSync.CheckResult(WaitSync wait, String extraExceptionInfo)
   at ArtOfTest.Common.WaitSync.For[T](Predicate`1 predicate, T target, Boolean invertCondition, Int32 timeout)
   at ArtOfTest.Common.WaitSync.For[T](Predicate`1 predicate, T target, Int32 timeout)
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActions.GetIEFrameFromProcess(Process process)
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActions.LaunchNewBrowserInstance(Int32 timeout, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String pipename)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActions.LaunchNewBrowserInstance(Int32 timeout, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String pipename)
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewBrowser(BrowserType browserToLaunch, Boolean waitForBrowserToConnect, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String arguments)
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewBrowser(ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String arguments)
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design.RecorderWindowManager.GetActiveBrowser(Boolean createOneIfNeeded, String arguments)
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design.RecorderWindowManager.<>c__DisplayClassd.<EnsureActiveBrowser>b__c()

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 25 Nov 2010, 03:48 PM
Hello Radha,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem. 
First off I assume you've checked and  your IE7 is otherwise working just fine, correct?

Consider upgrading to IE8. In principle we support IE7 but I would recommend that you upgrade to IE8 if this is not a problem for you. This might solve the issue.

Here are some thing you could try if upgrading (if it was possible for you) didn't solve it: 
Try initiating your recording using the debug record feature (open your test, then click on the Help tab, then click the Record button on the Help tab. Let me know how this goes.

Also, if you haven't tried to, you may consider attempting to record by doing the following:
  1. Open your project and test as you normally would
  2. You should be on the Record Tab. On the Record Tab is the Record Button. The record button has a small arrow underneath it that points down (the provided screen shot shows the button, with a blue/red arrow pointing towards it). Click the arrow beneath the record button.
  3. This will provide a list of open browser windows. Choosing one should launch the recorder within the specified open browser window.

Please let us know whether any of this worked so we can assist with getting you up-and-running as soon as possible.

All the best,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Interested in Agile Testing?

Tune in Wednesday, December 1st for a very special Webinar focused on Agile Testing. Click here to register for free!
Marcin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Jun 2011, 09:37 AM
I have the same problem ("Project is offline or uncontrolled; making files writeable") when I'm trying record test of WPF application.
Is IE8 necessary to recording?

Telerik Test Studio ver. 2011.1.1.502.0, WinXP, IE7
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 07 Jun 2011, 12:52 PM
Hello Marcin,
    Internet Explorer is not related to testing WPF application. Check this section of the user guide:
http://www.telerik.com/automated-testing-tools/support/documentation/user-guide/create-a-test-standalone/wpf-test.aspx

All the best,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Do you think you know all the new features coming out in Test Studio R1 2011? Think again - we have some surprises and will share them with you in the What's New in Test Studio R1 2011 Webinar on May 12th.
Register Today!
Marcin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Jun 2011, 01:39 PM
I'll try again, but...
"I have the same problem ("Project is offline or uncontrolled; making files writeable") when I'm trying record test of WPF application."
User guide didn't help me...

If IE is not related to testing WPF application, then:
or
b) project is uncontrolled
Hmmmm... but, what this mean? My project isn't: under version controll, TFS, CSV, SVN etc.

Anthony
Telerik team
answered on 08 Jun 2011, 05:20 PM
Hello Marcin,

Can you successfully record and execute a Web Test? Or are you only seeing this error with a WPF Test? Or do both not work? IE7 is required for Web Tests, however we recommend IE8+.

Please confirm your WPF application does not have a non-WPF component, an embedded browser, and it does not use click-once deployment. These are not currently supported.

All the best,
Anthony
the Telerik team
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Radha
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stoich
Telerik team