This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

2016_3 batch build in Visual Studio 2017

6 Answers 148 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Craig
Top achievements
Rank 1
Craig asked on 27 Sep 2018, 01:08 PM

Hi

I'm currently fixed to version 2016_3_1024 of UI for WPF.

I'd like to build a protected set of assemblies using the batch build targetting .NET 4.0.

My computer has VS 2017 Community and I have installed the Windows 10 SDK and Windows 8.1 SDK.

If I try to build the Telerik assemblies using the Build_WPF40.Bat file I get errors:-

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(2863,5): error MSB3086: Task could not find "AL.exe" using the SdkToolsPath "" or the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86". Make sure the SdkToolsPath is set and the tool exists in the correct processor specific location under the SdkToolsPath and that the Microsoft Windows SDK is installed

I've tried setting the MSBUILD environment in the batch file to use Visual Studio's MSBUILD but that fails too.

AL.EXE is in the Windows 10 SDK folders.

Any suggestions how I can resolve this?

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
John Schroedl
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Sep 2019, 02:56 PM

Did you ever figure this one out Craig?

I'm hitting the same errors when trying to build from a "Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019".

Craig
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Sep 2019, 08:04 PM

Hi John,

No, sorry. If I recall, I built them interactively in VS.

John Schroedl
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Sep 2019, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Craig. I'll give that a go too...
Martin Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 03 Oct 2019, 09:54 AM

Hello,

This error usually appears when the .NET 4.5 SDK is not installed on the machine. This is available with the Windows 8 SDK. You can try install this SDK version and see how it goes.

Regards,
Martin Ivanov
Progress Telerik

Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
John Schroedl
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 03 Oct 2019, 11:57 AM

Interesting. I had the much newer .NET SDKs but not 4.5 specifically. So, I followed the link in the documentation for building from source and installed the .NET 4.5 SDK from the Windows 8 SDK.

My first attempt at building (Build_WPF45.bat) failed with even more messages but I think that's because I launched it from a "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019" shell. That's my normal shell since I do mainly C++/CLI work.

When I opened "Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019" and ran the build from there.. Success!!  Thank you both for the help.

Martin, do you know if there's a plan to make a .NET 4.8 build since that's the last .NET Framework version and we'll need that for a long time to come?  (Obviously, we'll look into .NET Core but currently, that does not work with C++/CLI)

John

Martin Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 08 Oct 2019, 09:26 AM

Hello John,

Currently, we don't have plans to introduce a .NET 4.8 build. However, it is possible to plan such build in the future.

Regards,
Martin Ivanov
Progress Telerik

Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Craig
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
John Schroedl
Top achievements
Rank 2
Craig
Top achievements