You have asked so many times and now the Telerik Data Access
test suite confirmed it – Data Access is now compatible with ODP.NET Oracle Managed Driver version 220.127.116.11
. And it is so easy to integrate – an installation
, a change in the configuration files
and there it is. Goodbye to the unmanaged code and welcome to the code access security. Of course, let us not forget the bonus – about 140MB free disc space and simplified deployment.
As exciting as it was to see those green tests, we had to face the reduced performance as well. Some tests has shown that using the same data access code, the managed driver brings an increase of execution time of 30% to 50% compared with the native driver.
Inevitably, the question comes up: which driver should you use? Lets look at the facts about the managed driver: Requirements
- Oracle 10gR2 or higher database
- .NET Framework 4.0 or higher
- Version of the Oracle.ManagedDataAccess assembly – 18.104.22.168
- The code in the driver’s libraries is completely managed by the .NET CLR.
- The assembly can be deployed on both 32bit and 64bit environment.
- The configuration is performed in configuration files and not in Windows Registry.
- The size of the assembly is only 6.22 MB.
- Evidently reduced performance
As you can see, the final decision whether to use it depends entirely on your specific needs - if performance is an issue, we would generally not recommend the Oracle Managed Driver. However, if you prefer the ease of usage and simplicity of deployment, it is definitely something to try. The good part is that now you have both options with Telerik Data Access so you can experiment either way.
What would you choose for your applications?