This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Xamarin with VS 2019?

4 Answers 189 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
David asked on 03 Apr 2019, 03:29 AM

Like many, I spent several hours installing VS 2019 today.  I decided to try the wipe/reload method and everything went well with two exceptions.  I installed the Enterprise version of VS 2019 along with the Telerik & Kendo Developer tools.  The control panel seems to not recognize the fact that VS2019 has Xamarin installed and thus I cannot install the Telerik UI for Xamarin toolkit.  Previously, under VS 2017, I had not issues installing this package.

The second issue I encountered was odd.  When uninstalling all items, via the progress control panel, the system erred on the Telerik Reporting toolkit.  It seems "the account already exists" error occurred.  The VS 2017 flavor uninstalled however the 2019 flavor refused.  To work around the problem I was forced to do a repair then followed that with a successful uninstall.  A minor inconvenience although I figured someone would like to know.

I would like to be able to install my Xamarin toolkit again.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2019, 10:54 AM
Hello,

The most likely reason for being unable to complete the installation is a prerequisite that VS2019 seem to have changed in one of the latter Preview versions - it's called .NET Portable Library targeting pack. Please consider one of the following options : 

1. You could install/update the latest Telerik Xamarin VSExtensions from your Extensions tab ( update to the latest version if you already have it, or search for it in the Online VS Marketplace ), in which case the extension would install the missing package and you'd be able to proceed with your installation.

2. You could manually install the missing package from Visual Studio 2019 and proceed with the installation.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the error observed while uninstalling, it has been forwarded to the Reporting team, which will investigate the issue and give an update with their findings.

Regards,
Nikolay
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2019, 01:47 PM
Hi David,

A follow up for the second issue you had. The error you are getting is usually related to corrupted installation state or corrupted windows installer. In such cases we are recommending a Uninstall the product with the following tool provided by Microsoft. It will allow you to remove the product and also fix Windows Installer problems.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Kirill
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2019, 02:54 AM

Hi!

I'm having the same issue. I tried reinstalling Progress/Telerik controls and repairing visual studio. Doesn't help.

Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Apr 2019, 02:12 PM
Hi Kirill,

As Nikolay Nedyalkov suggested before this is probably a known issue that is caused by Visual Studio 2019. The issue is that there was a change in the Required components for the Mobile development with .NET workload and the component our installers require is not installed by default. So the workaround would be to install the .NET Portable Library targeting pack component manually through Visual Studio 2019 Installer, please check the image attached. After that you can try to install our product again. We have currently fixed the issue and it should be shipped with our next release.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
Answers by
Nikolay
Telerik team