Xamarin?

2 Answers 97 Views
General Discussion
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dave asked on 15 May 2014, 04:22 PM
Hi there,

I was wondering what the status of the Xamarin support is?  I am using Telerik on a windows phone app and we are just doing our Android and iOS apps now.  We are using Xamarin and are wondering if anyone has tried that yet.  
Deyan
Telerik team
commented on 16 May 2014, 08:34 AM

Hi Dave,

I am happy to inform you that Xamarin is on our TODO list and we will be delivering our wrappers for Telerik UI for Android in a month or so.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 16 May 2014, 04:16 PM

That is great.  Is there any way of getting a beta to play with in the meantime?  I really am just wanting to know if it will work for our solution asap.  Thanks!
Deyan
Telerik team
commented on 19 May 2014, 07:45 AM

Hello Dave,

If you are asking about Beta bits of Telerik UI for Android you're already able to download them from our website. As for XAMARIN, as already mentioned: wrappers are on their way but not yet ready.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Miha Markic
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 04 Jun 2014, 08:59 AM

Same here, interested in Xamarin support.
Just for fun tried the "manual" way, but it won't even compile as there is apparently a package named java.lang in there.
Any news on the subject?
Deyan
Telerik team
commented on 09 Jun 2014, 07:06 AM

Hi Miha,

As mentioned earlier here Xamarin wrappers are on their way. We plan to release them some time after the Q2 release of Telerik UI for Android (coming mid June).

If you have any further questions: don't hesitate to post them here.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik

simen
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 12 Jun 2014, 01:58 PM

Now it's the mid of June. How's the status of Xamarin wrapper? Any idea when it will be in the market? I'm asking because we happen to have a iOS project going on at the same time. If the wait is too long or uncertain, we may think about alternative.
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik team
commented on 16 Jun 2014, 07:00 AM

Hi Simen,
We will start working on the Xamarin wrappers right after our official Q2 2014 release which is scheduled to be live this week. If all goes well, the wrappers should be available 1 month after the official release - end of July. How does this work for you?

Regards,
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik

Elco
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 16 Jun 2014, 07:28 AM

Hi Kiril,

I'm in the same situation, building an app now with xamarin and want to use the telerik wrappers for iOS. Any chance of an early access to get started with until the final is released ?

Best regards,
Elco
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik team
commented on 19 Jun 2014, 08:52 AM

Hi Elco,
Once we start working on the wrappers we'll open a communication channel and we'll be able to share preview bits. I'll update this thread as soon as we start.

Regards,
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik

Miha Markic
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 19 Jun 2014, 08:54 AM

In the meantime, one could simply import the library. I guess it might work well enough. I'll try if I get some spare time.
Elco
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 20 Jun 2014, 07:12 AM

Ok, tnx Kiril, can't wait :-)
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 16 Jul 2014, 08:19 PM

Any more updates on this?  I noticed that Xamarin now supports razor views http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/advanced/razor_html_templates/.  

Would this allow for Kendo MVC wrappers to work in it?

Is there anything preventing Kendo UI (js/css/html) version from being used as an interface in Xamarin?

I've just started a trial of AppBuilder and I was hoping to try Xamarin with Kendo along side of it to compare the differences for hybrid apps.  My biggest problem is I want to use c# for all backend functionality (xamarin) and kendo for all the UI controls.  These two seem like they would complement each other very well.

Kendo is just too nice of a library that I can't bear the thought not having it.  Plus I love the speed of development you guys have been doing.  
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 16 Jul 2014, 08:44 PM

This is the part of tutorial that makes me think kendo MVC may be able to be used with Xamarin.

"Razor templates are not limited to server-side use, they can also be included in Xamarin apps. Using Razor templates along with the ability to work with web views programmatically enables sophisticated cross-platform hybrid applications to be built with Xamarin."

"You’re not going to host a web server on the client; however, you can use the same server communication techniques employed in today’s responsive design patterns to call services over HTTP GET, and handle responses asynchronously by emitting Javascript (or calling Javascript already hosted in the web view). This enables you to easily pass data from the HTML back into C# code for processing then display the results back on the HTML page.

Both iOS and Android provide a mechanism for application code to intercept these navigation events so that app code can respond (if required). This feature is crucial to building hybrid apps because it lets native code interact with the web view."
Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 21 Jul 2014, 01:14 PM

Hi Mark,

Generally speaking, if Xamarin are using the Razor view engine that is valid for ASP.NET MVC, it should work with our Kendo MVC wrappers as well. However, we have not verified this explicitly in our labs. If you have more questions or feedback on this topic, I would kindly ask you to open a new support ticket/forum thread in the appropriate product section, as the current thread is about the Xamarin wrappers for our native UI for Android suite. Opening a thread in the appropriate section will allow those of our community who are interested in Kendo UI working with Xamarin to find the thread more easily. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Nikolay
Telerik

simen
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 25 Jul 2014, 04:40 PM

Any updates on the Xamarin wrapper?
Deyan
Telerik team
commented on 29 Jul 2014, 02:29 PM

Hello,

We're currently working on the Xamarin Wrappers of our Telerik UI for Android suite. We have been able to create working wrappers of all components and integrate them into Xamarin Applications. We plan to release those as a beta sometime in mid August. You will be able to download the wrappers and give them a try.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik

simen
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 29 Jul 2014, 04:21 PM

Hi Deyan,

Thank you for your update. Does the wrapper support iOS too? That's what we are currently interested in.

Simen 
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 29 Jul 2014, 08:55 PM

That is great, been waiting a while for this one!
Deyan
Telerik team
commented on 30 Jul 2014, 07:01 AM

Hello,

We are working on Xamarin wrappers of our Android and iOS components. Both suites will be available in August. For any iOS related questions, please check out the corresponding Telerik UI for iOS forums.

Thanks!

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik

Renaud
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 20 Aug 2014, 08:39 AM

Hi,

Any news on the Xamarin wrappers ? It is passed mid August and we are dying to try it out ;)

Cheers,
Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 20 Aug 2014, 11:51 AM

Hello Renaud,

Thank you for your interest in the Xamarin wrappers. Indeed, we are also willing to ship the Xamarin wrappers as early as possible. As my colleague Deyan has mentioned, we started working on them. Still, we will be able to deliver them no earlier than the second half of October. I will update this forum thread accordingly when the first official Xamarin bits are released. 

Regards,
Nikolay
Telerik

N Mackay
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 16 Sep 2014, 02:00 PM

Hi,

Keep me in the loop as well.

I've previously developed a mobile app for the business using Appbuilder (Icenium) and the Kendo mobile controls and is in the AppStore and GooglePlay. We use Telerik WPF controls for our desktop UI.

We've moved to Xamarin as we want to share more code and use a common MVVM frameworks.Telerik UI controls are at the heart of our technology stack so been able to use them with Xamarin is very important to us.
Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 17 Sep 2014, 09:02 AM

Hi Mackay,

Thank you for expressing your interested in a Xamarin component set provided by us.

Indeed, using C#-friendly native mobile controls will allow you to share your existing C# business logic across various mobile platforms. As I mentioned, I will send an update here when we release our Xamarin offering.

Regards,
Nikolay
Telerik

N Mackay
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 18 Sep 2014, 01:34 PM

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for the feedback.

Will the controls work with Xamarin forms? For LOB mobile apps Xamarin forms are very appealing.

Kind Regards,
Norman.

Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 22 Sep 2014, 11:02 AM

Hello Norman,

Yes, we are considering the possibility to make our controls Xamarin Forms ready. Thank you for providing this input as well.

Regards,
Nikolay
Telerik

Ricky
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 31 Oct 2014, 08:25 AM

Is it possible to purchase UI for Xamarin also as standalone product, not only as part of DevCraft ?

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 27 Oct 2014, 05:54 PM
Hi guys,

I am happy to inform you that for some time now Telerik UI for Xamarin is official and it contains Chart for Xamarin.Forms as well as Xamarin wrappers for UI for iOS and UI for Android. For more information, you can check the UI for Xamarin product page.

Regards,
Nikolay
Telerik

Kiril Stanoev
Telerik team
answered on 04 Nov 2014, 09:46 AM
Hi Zvezdan,
We're considering selling UI for Xamarin as a standalone product so stay tuned for updates.

Regards,
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik

Tags
General Discussion
Asked by
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nikolay
Telerik team
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik team
Share this question