This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2012 RTM, MVC4, Kendo Bundle not Rendering

26 Answers 2354 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
ben
Top achievements
Rank 1
ben asked on 17 Aug 2012, 03:05 PM
Started a brand new VS2012 MVC4 project and pulled down the Kendo UI from NuGet.

Followed the setup instructions for Kendo from http://docs.kendoui.com/getting-started/using-kendo-with/aspnet-mvc/introduction and I'm finding the CSS or js for Kendo is never rendered/sent to my browser.

This worked in the RC version of VS2012, but once i upgraded to RTM it started to fail.
from BundleConfig.cs
//jquery
            bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/jquery").Include(
                                    "~/Scripts/jquery-1.*"));

// The Kendo JavaScript bundle
            bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/kendo").Include(
                            "~/Scripts/Kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.web.min.js", // or kendo.all.* if you want to use Kendo UI Web and Kendo UI DataViz
                            "~/Scripts/Kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.aspnetmvc.min.js"));

// The Kendo CSS bundle
            bundles.Add(new StyleBundle("~/Content/kendo").Include(
                            "~/Content/Kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.common.*",
                            "~/Content/Kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.default.*"));

From _Layout.cshtml
@Styles.Render("~/Content/kendo")
@Scripts.Render("~/bundles/jquery")
@Scripts.Render("~/bundles/kendo")         

No errors are generated when my site runs, and looking at Chrome developer window nothing is generated for those @Scripts.Render lines for Kendo, the css or the js.

Thoughts, or something else I can try?

-ben

26 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jay
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Aug 2012, 02:53 PM
I've run into the same problem with VS2012 RTM & MVC4 projects.

I haven't found a solution yet.

Jay
Accepted
Atanas Korchev
Telerik team
answered on 20 Aug 2012, 10:52 AM
Hello,

In ASP.NET MVC 4 RC the bundles included minified JavaScript and CSS files in debug mode (<compilation debug="true">). In ASP.NET MVC 4 this is no longer the case - minified files are ignored in debug mode. The solution is to modify the default IgnoreList setting:

// Clear all items from the default ignore list to allow minified CSS and JavaScript files to be included in debug mode
bundles.IgnoreList.Clear();

// Add back the default ignore list rules sans the ones which affect minified files and debug mode
bundles.IgnoreList.Ignore("*.intellisense.js");
bundles.IgnoreList.Ignore("*-vsdoc.js");
bundles.IgnoreList.Ignore("*.debug.js", OptimizationMode.WhenEnabled);

We have updated our introduction help topic as well as the code library project which shows how to use bundles with Kendo UI.

Regards,
Atanas Korchev
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Aug 2012, 02:13 PM
One other solution is to just copy the .min files and remove the .min from the copies to have a "regular" version of them. This avoids potenital problems as the solution listed above will return duplicates in debug mode for things like JQuery (i.e. the bunding engine will link to both JQuery and JQuery.min making debugging difficult).

I would suggest to the Telerik team to please release a non-minified version which will both help with debugging and match standards with other projects like JQuery and Knockout.
Atanas Korchev
Telerik team
answered on 22 Aug 2012, 02:30 PM
Hi Dan,

The non-minified JavaScript files are already available in the \src\js folder (included only in the commercial distribution).

Regards,
Atanas Korchev
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Aug 2012, 01:39 AM
This still doesn't work like a final workable solution for me unfortunately.  When i use the method above, most of the css for the kendo controls seem to work, except for the images.  See attached image, you can see the 2 numerictextboxes are missing the up/down arrows and the grid is missing the filter icon.  If i remove the kendo css from the BundleConfig.cs file and instead move it into the _Layout.cshtml file as:

<link href="@Url.Content("~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.common.min.css")" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <link href="@Url.Content("~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.blueopal.min.css")" rel="stylesheet" />
 it works fine, the images show with no problem at all. 
Dimo
Telerik team
answered on 27 Aug 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi Phil,

The image paths in the theme CSS file are relative to the CSS file's location. What image URLs is the browser requesting? Are the images available at their proper location?

~ / [some path] / CSS-file-here
~ / [some path] / BlueOpal / theme-images-here

Let me know if you need more information.

All the best,
Dimo
the Telerik team
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2012, 02:14 PM
Yes, the folders are in the proper directories, and the images were in there.  As i said, the images show up fine when i use

<link href="@Url.Content("~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.common.min.css")" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <link href="@Url.Content("~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.blueopal.min.css")" rel="stylesheet" />
    <link href="@Url.Content("~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.black.min.css")" rel="stylesheet" />

but does not work when i use MVC4 script bundling.
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2012, 02:20 PM
It is the same problem with the css bundling as with the scripting, any .min files are ingored in debug mode. if you copy the files and remove the .min in the copies it will start working. I've looked at about 15 major NuGet packages that contain javascript and/or CSS and they all package both the minified and non-minified packages. MS did just add these filters withh the RTM release which is why you didn't see this in the RC for MVC.
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2012, 02:23 PM
Instead of renaming the files, i use
bundles.Add(new StyleBundle("~/Content/kendocss").Include(
                "~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.common.min.css",
                "~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.blueopal.min.css",
                "~/Content/kendo/2012.2.710/kendo.black.min.css"));
and
BundleTable.EnableOptimizations = true;

so that it pointed to the min files directly, and EnableOptimizations means that i don't have to mess with debug=false/true at all, it just always uses the .min versions.  The css for the kendo files works fine, i see the colors/fonts/everything except for just the images.
Dan Miser
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Aug 2012, 08:37 PM
To get around the duplicate min and non-min versions of the files being included after applying the ignoreList workaround above, just be sure to not use the wildcard pattern when building up your bundles. If you use the {version} macro, you will just get the correct version, e.g.:
  "~/Scripts/jquery-{version}.js"));
Jason Denney
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Sep 2012, 08:52 PM
I made a post on the asp.net forums asking about the Bundle rendering but thought I would add the link to the post here in case someone here also has some thoughts on this.

http://forums.asp.net/t/1845117.aspx/1?StyleBundle+not+rendering 
Garry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Oct 2012, 09:20 PM
Greetings fellow geeks. 

I recently worked though a similar issue where not only was my styles not rendering but I was getting duplicate css files being pushed to the browser.  My solution was to give the kendo javascript bundle a different name from the kendo css bundle.  Although the two bundles are different types, it seems the bundle logic gets confused if there are identical names.  

One side note, I also noticed that I had to put at least my jquery bundle in the head element of my layout page.  Normally I like to include all of my javascript files at the bottom of my page but it seems the bundle logic works a little differently.  I did notice that I can put the jquery bundle in the head element but then but my other javascript bundles like the kendo bundle at the bottom of the page and it works just fine.

Just my two cents, maybe it will help.

-Garry
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Oct 2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, unfortunately that is a separate unrelated issue for me.  My bundles already had different names, and jquery was already at the top of my layout as well.  Neither fixes the original issue.
Joshua
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 03:09 PM
Can someone at Telerik please answer this problem correctly?

The original question said they used NUGET and that creates a 2 subfolders inside of the Scripts folder:

kendo/2012.2.710

Please tell us what to type to get BUNDLES to work with nuget installation.
Your code library sample does not have anything to do with nuget.
Please SPECIFICALLY give us a NUGET solution with bundles.
Tell us what we should type and how to name our bunldes as it is causing hell.
I do not want to hear about a solution where the kendo files are directly in the Script folder as that is not where nuget puts them.

Josh
Brendon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Oct 2012, 09:08 PM
I would second the comment above mine. The installation docs at http://docs.kendoui.com/getting-started/using-kendo-with/aspnet-mvc/introduction do not explain how to install using NuGet. Seems this should be the first installation procedure.
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Nov 2012, 07:08 PM
The problem is not with Kendo.  The default bundle transformer in MVC4 does not handle relative image paths in the .CSS files. To enable this you would have to implement your own "IBundleTransform" and convert the relative paths to absolute paths.  You would then implement your own bundler that used this new type.  Google   "IBundleTransform" for examples.

Thanks
-JJ
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Nov 2012, 08:20 PM
Here is how you accomplish what I mention in my post above:

First define ordering types: (to make sure things are bundled in the order you add them!)

public class AppCssOrderer : IBundleOrderer
  {
      public IEnumerable<FileInfo> OrderFiles(BundleContext context,
      IEnumerable<FileInfo> files)
      {
          if (context == null)
              throw new ArgumentNullException("context");

if (files == null)
              throw new ArgumentNullException("files");

return files;
      }
  }

public class AppJsOrderer : IBundleOrderer
  {
      public IEnumerable<FileInfo> OrderFiles(BundleContext context,
      IEnumerable<FileInfo> files)
      {
          if (context == null)
              throw new ArgumentNullException("context");

if (files == null)
              throw new ArgumentNullException("files");

return files;
      }
  }

Then define your bundle transformer (this will ensure the relative paths in the CSS work right when bundled - your primary issue):
public class StyleRelativePathTransform : IBundleTransform
    {
        public StyleRelativePathTransform(){}

public void Process(BundleContext context, BundleResponse response)
        {
            response.Content = String.Empty;

Regex pattern = new Regex(@"url\s*\(\s*([""']?)([^:)]+)\1\s*\)", RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);
            // open each of the files
            foreach (FileInfo cssFileInfo in response.Files)
            {
                if (cssFileInfo.Exists)
                {
                    // apply the RegEx to the file (to change relative paths)
                    string contents = File.ReadAllText(cssFileInfo.FullName);
                    MatchCollection matches = pattern.Matches(contents);
                    // Ignore the file if no match
                    if (matches.Count > 0)
                    {
                        string cssFilePath = cssFileInfo.DirectoryName;
                        string cssVirtualPath = cssFilePath.Replace(context.HttpContext.Request.ServerVariables["APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH"], String.Empty);
                        foreach (Match match in matches)
                        {
                            // this is a path that is relative to the CSS file
                            string relativeToCSS = match.Groups[2].Value;
                            // combine the relative path to the cssAbsolute
                            string absoluteToUrl = Path.GetFullPath(Path.Combine(cssFilePath, relativeToCSS));

// make this server relative
                            string serverRelativeUrl = "/" + absoluteToUrl.Replace(context.HttpContext.Request.ServerVariables["APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH"], String.Empty).Replace(@"\", "/");

string quote = match.Groups[1].Value;
                            string replace = String.Format("url({0}{1}{0})", quote, serverRelativeUrl);
                            contents = contents.Replace(match.Groups[0].Value, replace);
                        }
                    }
                    // copy the result into the response.
                    response.Content = String.Format("{0}\r\n{1}", response.Content, contents);
                }
            }
        }
    }

Then define a Bundle that uses this transform:
public class StyleImagePathBundle : Bundle
   {
       public StyleImagePathBundle(string virtualPath)
           : base(virtualPath)
       {
           base.Transforms.Add(new StyleRelativePathTransform());
           base.Transforms.Add(new CssMinify());
       }

public StyleImagePathBundle(string virtualPath, string cdnPath)
           : base(virtualPath, cdnPath)
       {
           base.Transforms.Add(new StyleRelativePathTransform());
           base.Transforms.Add(new CssMinify());
       }
   }

Now create the bundles using the new bundler and orderers:
public static void RegisterBundles(BundleCollection bundles)
{

bundles.Add(new StyleImagePathBundle("~/Content/themes/blueopal/css").Include(
        "~/Content/site.css",
        "~/Content/KendoMvc/kendo.common.min.css",
        "~/Content/KendoMvc/kendo.blueopal.min.css",
        "~/Content/Custom/BlueOpal/blueopal.custom.css"));

bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/Scripts/js").Include(
            "~/Scripts/KendoMvc/jquery.min.js",
            "~/Scripts/KendoMvc/kendo.web.min.js",
            "~/Scripts/KendoMvc/kendo.all.min.js",
            "~/Scripts/jquery.validate.min.js",
            "~/Scripts/jquery.unobtrusive-ajax.min.js",
            "~/Scripts/jquery.validate.unobtrusive.min.js",
            "~/Scripts/KendoMVC/cultures/kendo.culture.en-US.min.js",
            "~/Scripts/Site.js"));

bundles.GetBundleFor("~/Content/themes/blueopal/css").Orderer = new AppCssOrderer();
    bundles.GetBundleFor("~/Scripts/js").Orderer = new AppJsOrderer();
    BundleTable.EnableOptimizations = true;

}

Thats it.  I have shown Kendo CSS and your own custom CSS working in default nuget locations with Bundling!  caution:  don't mix absolute and relative paths in your custom CSS files versus Kendo . css files.  Always use relative CSS image paths.  The bundle transformer takes care of the rest.

Happy Coding
-JJ

jholt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 03:56 AM
Brilliant code - helped me enormously.

If you change 

var serverRelativeUrl = "/" + absoluteToUrl.Replace(context.HttpContext.Request.ServerVariables["APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH"], String.Empty).Replace(@"\", "/");

in StyleRelativePathTransform 

to 
                            var serverRelativeUrl = context.HttpContext.Request.Path +"/" + absoluteToUrl.Replace(context.HttpContext.Request.ServerVariables["APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH"],
 String.Empty).Replace(@"\", "/");

it will also work when the app is a Web Application i.e. not located at the root of Default Web Page.

Jeremy
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 03:30 PM
Glad you found this useful.  I cut and pasted from 4 different stackoverflow posts to get that code.  I new the app_physical_path thing smelled funny.  Adding your update now.

-JJ
Lorenzo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2012, 07:20 PM
Hi,
just upgraded to version Q3 2012 and getting back the bundles problem. I've reproduced all the steps suggested, but if Debug="false" something goes wrong. I prepared a simple sample page containing only a simple directive to test Kendo UI 
$("#tabs").kendoTabStrip();
...and in console Log i get "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'ready' of undefined". Nothing in Kendo works anymore.
Did anything change regarding bundles ?

Thanks.
jholt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2012, 07:52 PM
Same problem here.

For some reason when the scripts are combined into one script, the reference to "$" changes to "jQuery". Running jQuery 1.8.3.

I've gone back to putting the references in the header and not bundling. Very annoying!
IT
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Nov 2012, 08:57 PM
I found that if i was using any version of jquery greater than 1.7.2 that i would receive the following error.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'ready' of undefined
Atanas Korchev
Telerik team
answered on 30 Nov 2012, 08:13 AM
Hi,

The getting started help topic shows how to use bundles with Kendo UI. Consider reviewing it.

Regards,
Atanas Korchev
the Telerik team
King Wilder
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Jan 2013, 06:14 AM
I struggled with this also, but I just got it working.  My KendoUI version is 2012.3.1315.

I had installed the jQuery NuGet package which installed version 1.9.0.  KendoUI doesn't work with this.  I changed the reference in the scripts bundle for jQuery to point to the "jquery.min.js" from the kendo folder, and everything worked.

I thought this might help others.

Here's my RegisterBundles code:

"~/Scripts/kendo/jquery.*"));

bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/jqueryui").Include(
            "~/Scripts/jquery-ui-{version}.js"));

bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/jqueryval").Include(
            "~/Scripts/jquery.unobtrusive*",
            "~/Scripts/jquery.validate*"));

// Use the development version of Modernizr to develop with and learn from. Then, when you're
// ready for production, use the build tool at http://modernizr.com to pick only the tests you need.
bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/modernizr").Include(
            "~/Scripts/modernizr-*"));

bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/kendo").Include(
    "~/Scripts/kendo.all.*",
    "~/Scripts/kendo.aspnetmvc.*"));

bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/pgo").Include("~/Scripts/pgo.js"));

bundles.Add(new StyleBundle("~/Content/pgo").Include("~/Content/pgo/pgo.css"));

bundles.Add(new StyleBundle("~/Content/kendo").Include(
    "~/Content/kendo.compatibility.css",
    "~/Content/kendo/kendo.common.*",
    "~/Content/kendo/kendo.dataviz.*",
    "~/Content/kendo/kendo.default.*",
    "~/Content/kendo/kendo.dataviz.default.*"));

// Clear all items from the default ignore list to allow minified CSS and JavaScript files to be included in debug mode
bundles.IgnoreList.Clear();

// Add back the default ignore list rules sans the ones which affect minified files and debug mode
bundles.IgnoreList.Ignore("*.intellisense.js");
bundles.IgnoreList.Ignore("*-vsdoc.js");
bundles.IgnoreList.Ignore("*.debug.js", OptimizationMode.WhenEnabled);
And here's my _Layout.cshtml Head stuff:

<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <title>@ViewBag.Title - My ASP.NET MVC Application</title>
    <link href="~/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width" />
    @Scripts.Render("~/bundles/modernizr")

@Styles.Render("~/Content/kendo")
    @Styles.Render("~/Content/pgo")

@Scripts.Render("~/bundles/jquery")
    @Scripts.Render("~/bundles/kendo")
    @Scripts.Render("~/bundles/pgo")
</head>

I spent over an hour trying to get this to work and I even referenced the Help topic that Atanas mentions as well as the Code Library project, before trying to change the jQuery version.
King Wilder
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Jan 2013, 08:03 PM
Ok, this is an update to my last post, while the code I presented in my last post works, it only seems to work in development, in Debug mode.  When I change the "debug" attribute to "false", I get a 403 Forbidden error on the minified versions.
<compilation debug="false" targetFramework="4.5" />
I've attached a screenshot of the Firebug console.

It's most likely not directly a KendoUI issue, but hopefully the team has a solution for this, since we developers will be deploying to production servers in Release mode, and would need to work.

I have read this post many times and I've followed it as you can see in my code in my last post, but I still have the 403 error for Release mode.  An explanation of where my code is wrong would be appreciated.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

King Wilder
Atanas Korchev
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jan 2013, 09:01 AM
Hello,

The getting started help topic shows how to use bundles with Kendo UI. We also have a running code library project. The latter works both and release and debug mode. I don't know how to better document and demonstrate how to use ASP.NET bundles.

Consider comparing your implementation with the sample project.

I am going to close this thread because I believe it digressed a lot from the original intent of its author. Feel free to open a new thread or support ticket.

Regards,
Atanas Korchev
the Telerik team
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
ben
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jay
Top achievements
Rank 1
Atanas Korchev
Telerik team