This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2010 Telerik Version Update - Confusing

3 Answers 47 Views
Miscellaneous
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Larry Brindise
Top achievements
Rank 1
Larry Brindise asked on 29 Dec 2010, 04:50 PM
In VS2010, I received popup telling me I could update my asp.net version to the latest build.  Great.  I logged-in and followed the process to download the update.
...Where did it go?
The downloader, upon download completion, did not commence an update script.
The downloader did not tell me the name of the file. (I can't search for it if I don't know the name.)
The downloader did not tell me which folder it put the update into.
Unfortunately the download was a waste of time and resources because I will probably never use it (because I can't find it).
If I missed any of the above, I apologize, but then I'd submit for consideration that the messaging is insufficient for someone to notice.  (Or, I need more caffeine to pay better attention :)
I will now proceed with the manual download/update process.
Thank you for your continual efforts and the noticeable improvement in your product and DOCUMENTATION quality this year.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
answered on 03 Jan 2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Larry,

Once you have downloaded the latest version of the RadControls you can take advantage of the VSExtensions which are distributed along with the components and use the Upgrade wizard in order to update your projects.
Our VS Extensions give you the opportunity to upgrade RadControls projects in seconds, eliminating the need to set any assembly references, handler/module definitions, tag prefixes, etc. manually.

In the following article you could read more about the upgrade via VSExtensions: http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/vsx-upgrade-wizard.html

FYI, the physical location of the downloaded updates is %appdata%\Telerik\Updates. This is the location of all versions of the RadControls, downloaded through our Visual Studio Extensions. This way the downloaded versions do not overwrite the installed ones and you can use all of them.

Greetings,
Biliana
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Larry Brindise
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jan 2011, 09:12 PM
Hi,
I just downloaded another update.  I think I can see where it landed.  I think you are stating that I should not run an installer nor move those files (but you don't actually say that, but by not staying either, I'm assuming they should stay where they landed).  Then I'm supposed to follow the directions in the link you provided for the Upgrade Wizard.

http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/vsx-upgrade-wizard.html

I'm stuck again......

Please look at the first sentence in the instructions on the page reachable from the link above:

“(started by using the Telerik > RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX > Upgrade Wizard menu item)”

Menu item in which program???

Attempt#1:  Windows explorer --> All Programs à Telerik…. (I don’t see it there)

Attempt#2: Visual Studio 2010  TelerikàRadControls for ASP.NET AJAX à (I don’t see it there)  I’ve copied the two menu options that exist:

1. Create New Telerik Project
  2. Launch Toolbox Configurator

How do I find the upgrade wizard?  Sorry I'm so dense, but following these directions literally leads me to dead-ends.

Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jan 2011, 08:35 AM
Hi Larry,

You are right. After you have downloaded the updates you don't have to start an installer, or to move any files.

You only have to open the Visual Studio (unless it is already opened), open an existing Telerik enabled project  which uses an older version of the Rad Controls and use the Upgrade wizard to update it to the newer version. The Upgrade wizard is available under the Telerik menu in Visual Studio only for already created projects and you can upgrade only existing projects.

If you don't have any Telerik enabled projects, under the Telerik menu in Visual Studio you will see only the options you have copied:
  1. Create New Telerik Project
  2. Launch Toolbox Configurator
And you should use the first option (Create New Telerik Project) in order to create a Telerik enabled project in which you could use our Rad Controls. In the Create New Project wizard all of the downloaded versions of the Rad Controls will be available, so you will be able to select the latest one.

Here you could read more about the Create new project option:
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/vsx-project-wizard.html

I hope the information was helpful.

Regards,
Biliana
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Tags
Miscellaneous
Asked by
Larry Brindise
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
Larry Brindise
Top achievements
Rank 1