This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2012 Light - Missing bottom of RadTextBox

3 Answers 62 Views
Themes and Visual Style Builder
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1
Phil asked on 06 Jun 2017, 06:13 AM

I have recently updated to the latest version from 2016 Q1 and noticed a change in the way the RadTextBox displays when the Visual Studio 2012 Light theme is used.

The issue is easily reproduced by creating a new project and adding a RadTextBox with AutoSize as false and a Height of 20. Everything displays normally under the default theme.

Now add the Visual Studio 2012 Light theme and set the RTB to use it. The bottom of the RTB disappears. Not good. It isn't happy with anything under a Height of 24.

How can this issue be resolved? I've encountered similar issues with this theme in the past and I was not expecting the update to the latest version to break something which has been working just fine under older versions.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimitar
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jun 2017, 11:37 AM
Hi Phil,

With this theme, the textbox has a minimum height set to 24. This is why you are getting this effect. What you can do is to simply set the MinSize in the code:
radTextBox1.TextBoxElement.MinSize = new Size(0, 20);

I hope this will be useful. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Dimitar
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Jun 2017, 04:40 AM

Hi Dimitar,

Yes, thanks, that fixes the issue. I have the same issue with RadDateTimePicker and this theme as well and fixed it by setting dateTimePicker.DateTimePickerElement.MinSize.

Can I please request that future theme updates don't override previous behaviours or at the very least they will honour the properties of the element itself? It doesn't make sense that a theme's minimum size should override the actual size of the element. Even providing a controlled approach where the MinimumSize of a Control should always be set so that the theme can work off of that would be acceptable.

It is rather unpleasant that just updating to the latest version, without changing any code, broke an entire project's UI. That's not acceptable and we've wasted a lot of time applying fixes to something that should never have broken in the first place. This is not the first time either. Not being able to trust newer versions of a library means it's probably time to find another one :{

Dimitar
Telerik team
answered on 08 Jun 2017, 10:13 AM
Hi Phil,

We understand that such changes require additional work and we always try to keep the breaking changes to the minimum. In this case, the change was required because we needed to make all editors consistent among the themes (so they look similar when one changes the theme at runtime and the editors are used in other controls like the Grid). 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Regards,
Dimitar
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Tags
Themes and Visual Style Builder
Asked by
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Dimitar
Telerik team
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 1