Upgrade Wizard stalls in Visual Studio 2022, have to kill whole devenv process

1 Answer 490 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
Uwe
Top achievements
Rank 1
Uwe asked on 07 Feb 2022, 06:29 AM

Since some weeks/months, the Upgrade wizard tells me that my .NET Framework 4.8 ASP.NET MVC project has to be upgraded.

If I then start the wizard, the UI stalls. I've waited for hours, still, only killing VS helps.

Right before it gets closed, after I killed it, a short notification bar appears on top of VS that reads:

Feature 'Symbol search' is currently unavailable due to an internal error.

My question:

What can I do to make the project upgrade wizard work again for my project?

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 07 Feb 2022, 02:38 PM

Hi Uwe,

I have already answered this in your other thread, but posting this here since it can be useful for other people.

The slow upgrade is probably related to the process of adding/removing files to/from the project through the Upgrade. Our extensions use the Visual Studio API which has its limitations and also does not allow us to have deep control over the process. To avoid this and speed up the Upgrade process I would recommend you to switch your project to use our CDN option. This is done easily with the help of the Project Configuration Wizard. Just select the Use CDN Support checkbox on the last page of the wizard. Then give the Upgrade another try.

As an alternative, you can take a look at this article that describes a manual approach for upgrading.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Uwe
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 08 Feb 2022, 06:26 AM | edited

Thanks, Nikolay, 

in my scenario even the wizard window itself is not being displayed at all.

So it is not "slow", but rather blocking/stalled.

I now managed to set up another dev machine where the wizard runs successfully, but still I would love to have a solution that runs on my very own daily dev machine.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Uwe
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
Share this question
or