With the recent release of 2018, I began the rework of several projects to also update them to the latest suite. I can report that this with this release I was actually able to perform a MVC Upgrade wizard without failures. That is a first for me.
My update strategy was as follows: First I ran the Report upgrade process. After it completes it reloaded the project and the Telerik product realized I still had a un-upgraded MVC project to upgrade. (That was a welcome change) Upon clicking the upgrade wizard it actually went off and upgraded things.
Upon completion of the process I was able to perform a clean/rebuild solution with zero errors. Using my normal testing process quickly confirmed everything met expectations. That was a very welcome change.
My only complaint is that the upgrade process, of the MVC, is very invisible to the developer. By this I mean the user has no visual indication that anything is happening except for the occasional busy cursor. The status bar occasionally has a message but it seems to be very sporadic. If you somehow improved this portion of your upgrade process things would be "perfect" in my mind.
NOTE: I did discover that you could monitor the contents of the recycle bin to see the progress of the upgrade process. The upgrade process delete files, which end up in the recycle bin, so as long as the number of files is growing you know something is working.
Special Note: Like most developers I also have one of those projects which are "from hell". It is a hybrid project that combines ASPX, MVC, and the HTML5 reporting tools. Collectively this project has never been upgrade capable via the wizards. They literally crashed each time I tried them. Given the hybrid nature, I always accepted is as something I caused myself by building the "beast". I can report that with this release (2018-1) the upgrade process actually worked. I ran the report upgrade wizard first. I then ran the MVC Upgrade process. I then ran the ASPX upgrade wizard. All three worked without error. None crashed. (A very welcome change) The end result compiled with errors as the ASPX process removed the MVC references as unnecessary. Upon re-adding that reference to the solution, everything compiled and tested with 100% accuracy. All tests ran without error. I was thrilled that this un-supported process actually worked!