This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgrade Wizard (2018-R1)

7 Answers 119 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
David asked on 19 Jan 2018, 09:39 PM

With the recent release of 2018, I began the rework of several projects to also update them to the latest suite.  I can report that this with this release I was actually able to perform a MVC Upgrade wizard without failures.  That is a first for me.

My update strategy was as follows:  First I ran the Report upgrade process.  After it completes it reloaded the project and the Telerik product realized I still  had a un-upgraded MVC project to upgrade.  (That was a welcome change)  Upon clicking the upgrade wizard it actually went off and upgraded things.

Upon completion of the process I was able to perform a clean/rebuild solution with zero errors.  Using my normal testing process quickly confirmed everything met expectations.  That was a very welcome change.

My only complaint is that the upgrade process, of the MVC, is very invisible to the developer.  By this I mean the user has no visual indication that anything is happening except for the occasional busy cursor.  The status bar occasionally has a message but it seems to be very sporadic.   If you somehow improved this portion of your upgrade process things would be "perfect" in my mind.

NOTE: I did discover that you could monitor the contents of the recycle bin to see the progress of the upgrade process.  The upgrade process delete files, which end up in the recycle bin, so as long as the number of files is growing you know something is working.

Special Note:  Like most developers I also have one of those projects which are "from hell".  It is a hybrid project that combines ASPX, MVC, and the HTML5 reporting tools.  Collectively this project has never been upgrade capable via the wizards.  They literally crashed each time I tried them.  Given the hybrid nature, I always accepted is as something I caused myself by building the "beast".  I can report that with this release (2018-1) the upgrade process actually worked.  I ran the report upgrade wizard first.  I then ran the MVC Upgrade process.  I then ran the ASPX upgrade wizard.  All three worked without error.  None crashed. (A very welcome change)  The end result compiled with errors as the ASPX process removed the MVC references as unnecessary.  Upon re-adding that reference to the solution, everything compiled and tested with 100% accuracy.  All tests ran without error.  I was thrilled that this un-supported process actually worked!

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jan 2018, 02:54 PM
Hi David,

Thank you for writing to us.

We are greatly appreciating your feedback, and we are happy to hear that you are excited about our Visual Studio Extensions. Regarding the no visual indication while upgrading projects, that is a great idea for improvement and we are going to discuss it and take it under consideration.

Thank you again and don't hesitate to contact us if you need any assistance.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Joe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jan 2018, 06:06 PM

I on the other hand have had dismal success with the MVC Upgrade wizard.  

In my _Layout.cshtml, if I'm using CDN it updates them to use local scripts, and I always have to switch them back to the CDN.  If I have any bundles, it never updates any kendo scripts that are bundled, and I have to manually do them.

This past update, instead of setting the Kendo.Mvc.dll to a local for the DLL, it now sets the file path to some place in my Users folder.  So after checking in my code, and another developer pulls it down to work on it, the Kendo.Mvc.dll cannot be found, because according to the Properties, it's path is in my user folder.  WTF...

C:\Users\jsheble\AppData\Roaming\Telerik\Updates\telerik.ui.for.aspnetmvc.hotfix.2018.1.117.commercial\wrappers\aspnetmvc\Binaries\Mvc5\Kendo.Mvc.dll

This just isn't right.  These paths need to remain user agnostic.

Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jan 2018, 11:55 AM
Hi Joe,

Thank you for contacting us.

The CDN option could be changed through our Project Configuration wizard, here you can find more information about it. Regarding the bundles not being updated, for now there is no such functionality in our VS Extensions, and they should be upgraded manually.

When downloading the distribution from our Visual Studio Extensions the default location where it is stored is the location you described: "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\...
this location can be changed in VSExtensions options dialog. Also if you need to add references from local folder you can check the Copy referenced assemblies to solution option in the VSExtensions options.

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Joe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jan 2018, 07:00 PM
I don;t see such an option when I run the upgrade wizard, is it available in that?  And I'll have to check the other option because I certainly don;t remember setting it to my Users folder, that would be plain foolishness, but I'll check.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 30 Jan 2018, 07:10 PM
Good Lord, I have been using this for how long and never saw that myself.  Nikolay had a link to "VSExtensions Options" in his message. Clicking upon that link shows you where to configure it.  Nice to know those options exist and can be configured per language type.
Joe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jan 2018, 10:50 PM

The CDN option is not available as part of the Upgrade Wizard.  I had in fact set these when I first created my project, which is how I got the CDN stuff to begin with.,  But the Upgrade Wizard does not ask, and it blew away all my CDN links, and replaced them with local links.

I still don't know how to fix the Kendo.MVC.dll location.. I did change it in the VSExtension Options dialog, but that doesn't help with a project that is already using the Users path setting.

Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 01 Feb 2018, 07:36 AM
Hello Joe,

In order to change the CDN option you need to use the Project Configuration wizardthe option can be found on it's second page. Go through the wizard and the CDN links should be added to your project.
Regarding the KendoMvc.dll path, after enabling Copy referenced assemblies to solution option from VSExtensions Options, I can suggest you to:
  1. Open your project.
  2. Remove  KendoMvc.dll from your project References.
  3. Right click on the project, then Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC -> Convert to Telerik Application.(this will launch the Convert Project wizard)
  4. Go through the wizard and Finish.
  5. This should add KendoMvc.dll from the right location.
*Note that in the Convert Project Wizard you will also have the chance to change the CDN option.

I hope the provided information helps.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
Answers by
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team