This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Updating to Q1 2011 SP1

3 Answers 67 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Don
Top achievements
Rank 1
Don asked on 25 Apr 2011, 03:50 PM
I have a question for those of you that have updated your Telerik WinForms controls to the recently released SP1 version. Did you have manually set your projects referencing Telerik WinForms controls to be writable before you could do the update? I did and have had to do so for each version update.

My question to Telerik is this; why is this not accounted for in their Project Update Utility? To the best of my knowledge Visual Studio typically sets all project files to be read-only so that changes are less likely to be made outside of Visual Studio, especially when source control is used. Visual Studio has no trouble writing back to project files every time you save your changes. This leads me to believe that it would also be possible for the Project Update Utility to do so, as well.

Granted, Microsoft may "cheat" when it comes to saving changes to read-only files, as they do in other instances of needing to "fudge" permissions, but there should be a way for a third-party provider to do so as well. Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Apr 2011, 09:26 AM
Hello Don,

When using the project update utility, I only need to ensure that the files are checked out of our source control repository. I've not had to manually change any file attributes manually.

Hope that helps
Richard
Don
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Apr 2011, 03:11 PM
I'll have to try that next time. I ran the Update Utility right after doing the install and hadn't opened Visual Studio yet and I had checked everything in the prior day.
Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Apr 2011, 03:47 PM
No problem Don. Let me know if you need anything further.
Regards,
Richard
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Don
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2