This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Update project from Q1 2009 SP1 to Q2 2009

5 Answers 131 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Peter Bogoyavlensky
Top achievements
Rank 1
Peter Bogoyavlensky asked on 10 Jul 2009, 10:33 AM

My old project was: VS 2008, using VB.Net and Telerik Q1 2009.

I've update project through Project Update utility but obtain a lot of error messages (see picture: http://pic.ipicture.ru/uploads/090710/IPanVnW98P.png ).

If I try to change version of dll's manually (from 2009.1.9.414 to 2009.2.9.701) - many errors appeared (actually during changing version of TelerikCommon.dll).

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter Bogoyavlensky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jul 2009, 01:21 PM

Ok. It would be very useful to manually change in all form's designers definitions SomethingForm.Designer.vb :

from

Inherits Telerik.WinControls.RadForm
to

Inherits Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadForm

RadForm and RadRibbonForm are moved from the Telerik.WinControls namespace to Telerik.WinControls.UI.

Hmm... May be improve this Project Update utility to allow this automatically? Now it's only change version number in ***.vbproj file.

Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jul 2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Peter Bogoyavlensky,

Thanks for writing and for the screenshot provided.

The Project Update Utility updates a Project by changing the project's assembly references to newer versions. However, this utility does not update code differences that might occur due to different DLL versions.

Since we have introduced some breaking changes (for instance RadForm is no longer member of the Telerik.WinControls namespace, it has been moved to the Telerik.WinControls.UI namespace), I suggest you take a look at the "What's New" list on our website and also consider the breaking changes that we introduced in this release:

http://www.telerik.com/products/winforms/whats-new/release-history/q2-2009-version-2009-2-9-701.aspx

I hope this is helpful. Do not hesitate to write back if you still experience any impediments while updating to Q2 2009.

Sincerely yours,
Deyan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Marcus Swope
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Aug 2009, 12:58 PM
I have also just updated from Q1 2009 SP1 to Q2 2009. Whenever I change any property of any control on any form, I get a VS2008 popup error message saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

What would be causing this? It would be nice to be able to develop with these updated controls...

Thanks,
Marcus
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 04 Aug 2009, 02:24 PM
Hello Marcus,

Thanks for writing. Before installing any other version of RadControls for WinForms, you should make sure that you have completely removed the older versions since wrong DLL versions are the most probable reason for errors like the one you report. After uninstalling an older version, take a look at the GAC (Global Assembly Cache of Windows) whether there are not any Telerik.WinControls.* DLLs and also make sure the TelerikCommon.dll is removed.

After that you should install the new version (it is important that Visual Studio instances are not running while installing) and make sure that all references in your projects are to the correct version.

Please, check all these steps mentioned above and let me now if you still need assistance or experience further issues when upgrading.

Kind regards,
Deyan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Marcus Swope
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Aug 2009, 02:33 PM
Okay, thank you, I guess I just assumed that after I ran the installation package AND the upgrade utility that that would have been taken care of for me.

Thanks again for your help....
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Peter Bogoyavlensky
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Peter Bogoyavlensky
Top achievements
Rank 1
Deyan