This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Uninstall WinForms Q3 2008 error

4 Answers 44 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sebastian Talamoni
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sebastian Talamoni asked on 30 Mar 2009, 02:00 PM
Just downloaded the new WinForms 2009 Q1. 
Before installing i've tried to uninstall the WinForms Q3 2008.

The uninstall process fails with  the following error:
Error 1325. VS2005PUBASM is not a valid short file name.

Important : I don't have vs.net 2005 in that machine..

Thanks in advance, 
Sebastian Talamoni

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jordan
Telerik team
answered on 02 Apr 2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Sebastian Talamoni,

Thank you for contacting us back. Had you installed VS2005 before installing Q3 2008 and did you remove it after that? This is important so that we know the case and think of an appropriate fix for the installer.

You could check if you have RadControls for WinForms assemblies in the
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies folder as well.

Please give us more information about the installer. Did the installer continue the uninstall process or did it abort right away. You could also check the log file in the %temp% folder; please send us this file.

In the first case probably just the files in the vs2005 public assemblies folder are left and you can easily remove them. In the second case you could try using the windows installer cleanup utility and remove the product information form the windows installer database and then remove the product manually (we will help with this).

Sincerely yours,
Jordan
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Sebastian Talamoni
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2009, 10:48 AM

• Had you installed VS2005 before installing Q3 2008 and did you remove it after that?
No

• You could check if you have RadControls for WinForms assemblies in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies folder as well.

I don't have this folder:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8

• Did the installer continue the uninstall process or did it abort right away. You could also check the log file in the %temp% folder; please send us this file.
Aborted right away

• windows installer cleanup utility and remove the product information form the windows installer database and then remove the product manually (we will help with this).
Ok, will try that I've never used it. Do you have some info? (windows vista..)
CClearner has a "delete entry" option.. (will wait for your instructions..)

Thanks in advance

Jordan
Telerik team
answered on 13 Apr 2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Sebastian Talamoni,

I am writing to let you know that I am currently trying to reproduce your case and see if I will be able to come up with a way to successfully uninstall the product.
If I do not succeed in this I will help you uninstall the product manually.
I will write you back soon with more information.

Best wishes,
Jordan
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Jordan
Telerik team
answered on 13 Apr 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Sebastian Talamoni,

Unfortunately I could not reproduce your case with the instructions provided, although I will try a couple of other things next.  My only suggestion right now would be to manually uninstall the Q3 2008 release.

I tried to use CCleaner to remove the windows installer entry, but I got an error, so I used the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, which can be downloaded from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

To uninstall the Q3 2008 release manually you should do the following:

1. Use cleanup utility to remove the Telerik Q3 2008 windows installer entry
  2. Remove all Telerik.WinControls* assemblies from GAC
  3. Remove VS2005PUBASM and VS2005INSTALLDIR folders from c:\ (or the drive where you installed the product)
  4. From C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies remove all Telerik.WinControls* files
  5. Remove the C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for WinForms Q3 2008 folder (or the folder where you installed the product)
  6. Remove the product entry from windows start menu

This should help you get rid of the Q3 installation and install Q1 2009.

Best wishes,
Jordan
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Sebastian Talamoni
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jordan
Telerik team
Sebastian Talamoni
Top achievements
Rank 1