This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Telerik Silverlight Controls in VS 2010 Part 2

42 Answers 1089 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
Paul asked on 22 Jul 2009, 09:36 AM
I have installed Telerik Silverlight Controls onto a brand new machine running Vista 64. Terlerik controls can be added to the toolbar of visual studio 2010 successfully, but once they have been dragged into the design view they can not be moved by the mouse. However they can be moved by using cursor keys and tab button. Also in the properties window for Telerik Silverlight controls nothing can be changed! These problems do not exist when using the standard Microsoft Silverlight controls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul

42 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jul 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Paul,

As VS2010 is still Beta we have not made tests with it and it is normal to have such problems with it. We will try to make our controls fully compatible with VS 2010 when it become official.

I tried the issue on a test machine with VS 2010 but in fact I wasn't able to add any Silverlight controls, to the toolbox because the moment i press Silverlight Tab in ChooseItems window, VS2010 crashes with fatal error. The thing that I can advice you is to delete the Design assemblies in our suit and see what happens.

Sory for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Sep 2009, 02:10 PM
Boyan,

Happy Bulgaria Independence day!!

Any guess when a VS 2010 compatible version of the Silverlight controls might be made available?  I'm working on a proof of concept / prototype using Telerik controls and our R&D group will be transitioning to TFS/VS 2010 beta at the end of October 09.  They hope to move this prototype solution to 2010 at that time.

Enjoy your holiday and answer after you get back!

Regards,
Paul from Minneapolis
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 26 Sep 2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for noticing our Independence day. And sorry for the late reply.

I still can't add Silverlight items to the VS2010 Toolbox on our test machines, because the moment i press Silverlight Tab in ChooseItems window, VS2010 crashes with fatal error. However if I add the items, for example RadCalendar by writing xaml then I was able to move/resize it from design view and change its properties from the properties window. However our properties were not available there, just the common ones like Background, IsEnabled, etc..
 Today I read some more blogs and forums about VS 2010 and my overall impression is that it still have a lot of bugs and is working much slower than VS2008. In your place I would wait for Beta 2 to become available as Microsoft promise to fix lot of the bugs and improve performance.

Greetings,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 26 Sep 2009, 12:42 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for noticing our Independence day and sorry for the late reply.

I still can't add Silverlight items to the VS2010 Toolbox on our test machines, because the moment i press Silverlight Tab in ChooseItems window, VS2010 crashes with fatal error. However if I add the items (for example RadCalendar) by writing XAML then I am able to move/resize them from design view and change its properties from the properties window. However our properties were not available there, just the common ones like Background, IsEnabled, etc.. We will try and make it compatible for Q3, so all properties can be seen and will work in order for our controls to make use of the new VS2010 features.

Today I read some more blogs and forums about VS 2010 and my overall impression is that it still have a lot of bugs and is working much slower than VS2008. In your place I would wait for Beta 2 to become available as Microsoft promise to fix lot of the bugs and improve performance. I believe our Q3 release will be live by the time VS2010 is released.

Greetings,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Oct 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Boyan,

I installed VS2010 in my machine, but I am unable to add the Telerik controls for Silverlight in my Toolbox.

Please help.

Thanks,
Monalisa

Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 29 Oct 2009, 08:08 AM
Hello Monalisa,

It won't be possible to add Telerik Silverlight Controls to the toolbox as they are not build agaisnt .NET4.
 We are not planning to release a special suite build against  .Net 4 for Q3 we will consider it for Q3 SP1. I made some fast test about the behavior of our controls in VS 2010. Here is what I found:
 Controls are working as expected in both Silverlight and WPF except for where .Net Ria Services is used. You can read here that Ria services are still not available for VS2010/ .NET 4. Because of that you can't compile the examples that goes with our installation as we are using .Net Ria. You can not start the exe for our example demos also. You can view them online on our site though.
   WPF controls are automatically added to VS2010 toolbox but you can not add Silverlight ones.
 So in fact you can use our controls in VS 2010 but it is not advisable and you may face some difficulties.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Oct 2009, 08:22 AM
Hi Boyan,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
Can you please tell when you are going to release the special suite build for Telerik Silverlight against .Net 4.

Thanks,
Monalisa
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 03 Nov 2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Monalisa,

I can't give you an exact date. I believe when Microsoft officially release Silverlight 4 , we will release controls compatible. I believe it will be for Q1 2010 but I can't tell you for sure. All depends on Microsoft release date, if they release soon maybe you will see compatible build in some of the service packs.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Nov 2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Boyan,

Thanks for your reply.
I am not talking about release of Silverlight 4, I am talking about Visual studio 2010 (.NET framework 4.0).
Here problem is that I installed Visual Studio 2010 in my machine, but the Telerik RadControls for Silverlight are not coming in my Toolbox or it does not support. Where as Telerik Rad Controls for ASP.NET ajax are supporting.

In otherwords, Telerik Rad Controls for ASP.NET ajax supporting Visual Studio 2010 (.NET framework 4.0), but Telerik Rad Controls for SIlverlight does not Support.

So, my point here is that what to do for supporting Telerik Radcontrols for Silverlight in Visual Studio 2010 (.NET framework 4.0).

Please suggest..

Thank you,
Monalisa
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 04 Nov 2009, 10:41 AM

Hi Monalisa,

Currently our suite installer does not install our Silverlight controls into the Visual Studio toolbox (2008 and 2010). We will be adding such support (VS 2010) later this year or for Q1 2009.

For the time being you could try to manually add our controls to the VS 2010 toolbox. Here is an article that demonstrates how this can be done for VS 2008 but it is virtually the same with 2010. Hopefully this will work.

Kind regards,
Milan
the Telerik team

Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Nov 2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Milan,

Thanks for your reply.
I think, till now you are not getting me. My question is how to add RadControls for Silverlight in  my application - not that how to add Silverlight controls to my toolbox.
See we have RadControls For SIlverlight - the controls are like Chart, Calander, Docking etc. -- Here I am attaching the screen shot of that controls.
When I used Visual Studio 2008 these controls are coming in my toolbox by adding the following dll(s) to my application :

• Telerik.Silverlight.Controls.Test.Common.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.Charting.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.Docking.dll  
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.Editor.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.Gauge.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Controls.Scheduler.dll
    • Telerik.Windows.Data.dll  etc...

But now I am using Visual Studio 2010, if I follow the same procedure as I followed in Visual Studio 2008, then I am unable to add these dll(s) to my toolbox. But I need RadControls for Silverlight in my application.

So, here my question is how do I add these controls (or) in another word, how do I add all the RadControls for Silverlight into my toolbox.
See the attached screen shots which is the RadControls for Silverlight. I need these controls in my toolbox.

Hope you are now clear about my question, please suggest.

Thank You,
Monalisa

Milan
Telerik team
answered on 05 Nov 2009, 01:24 PM
Hello Monalisa,

You can add our Silverlight controls to a Silverlight project using Visual Studio 2010 just like Visual Studio 2008.

Regards,
Milan
the Telerik team

Richard Lemmon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2009, 07:37 AM
Monalisa,

It would appear that Milan does not have VS2010 Beta 2 installed  If he/she did, they would immediately realize that the Telerik RadControls for Silverlight DO NOT work with VS2010 Beta 2.  I just downloaded and installed the latest controls.  I tried to add them to my VS2010 Toolbox and got a failure message like you. 

It is frustrating for developers because we want to use Telerik's RadControls For Silverlight in the new VS2010 but they do not work together yet.

Rich
Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2009, 08:10 AM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply and you are right that it is frustrating frustrating developers, who wants to work VS2010 with Silverlight RadControls. Now you better understand that what problem am facing. If you find any solution then please reply.

Thanks,
Monalisa
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 06 Nov 2009, 08:18 AM
Hi Richard Lemmon,

We are currently investigating the issue with our latest release and Visual Studio 2010 toolbox. We will try to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Once we have more information we will inform all users. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Regards,
Milan
the Telerik team

Tintas Barnes
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Nov 2009, 09:40 PM
Hi Boyan!

zdravei :) (i've learned Bulgarian for 1 year)

Can you please spot a topic where I can discuss VS2008 issues? I can't add the controls to my VS2008. My VS2008 is really hacked up with a lot of stuff so I'm not surprised.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 10 Nov 2009, 12:36 PM
Hello Tintas Barnes,

I've never seen similar to your problem, also Google says nothing about it. So I can't really help you. The only things that comes to my mind is to try and remove some of the VS stuff  you added that you are not using at the moment or some that you think may cause the problem and see if it works. Also you can try to find some log of the crash that may describe the problem.

Best wishes,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Pavol Husar
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Nov 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi,

this VS 2010 beta 2 toolbox issue can be resolved by copying Telerik assemblies into VS InstallDir/Common7/IDE/PrivateAssemblies and then adding them into toolbox from that location.

Hope that helps a bit,

Pavol Husar
Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 04:51 AM
Hi Pavol,

I tried this but still not working.

Thanks,
Monalisa
Pavol Husar
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 09:06 AM
Are you sure, you have moved them into correct location? Path on my 32bit XP box is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies. I have resolved this problems on three different computers with VS 2010 running on XP and Windows 7, so it should be working for you unless there is some other problem.
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Pavol Husar,

You might need to restart Visual Studio after you add all assemblies to the PrivateAssemblies folder.

Greetings,
Milan
the Telerik team

Jeff Cuscutis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Nov 2009, 01:37 AM
Following the fixes posted here, I am able to get some of the Silverlight controls to work in vs2010 beta 2, but the Scheduler control doesn't work. I have been able to drag it on to the designer, but after closing and reopening the solution, the designer has errors. The scheduler control is the one I actually need for my project.

Is there a rough eta on when there will be a build that this works on?

Thanks.
Rosi
Telerik team
answered on 01 Dec 2009, 02:05 PM
Hi Jeff ,

We tried to reproduce the problem at our side but everything works as expected at our side.Please download the attached project and test it.

If the problem still persist I suggest you send us your project to test it locally.

Regards,
Rosi
the Telerik team

David Sandor
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Dec 2009, 08:13 PM
FYI, I too am having problems getting the Silverlight Q3 2009 controls to work in Visual Studio 2010 B2.  By copying the binaries to the PrivateAssemblies folder the controls can manually be added to the toolbox (one did crash on me when I did that but the bulk of them loaded).  Dragging the RadGridView control to the design surface resulted in a 'Catastrophic failure' message. 

I did however open the the XAML file in Blend 3 and was able to add the RadGridView to the design surface with drag and drop no problem.  Maybe that would help some folks out!
Jeff Cuscutis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Dec 2009, 11:25 PM
I opened the project you posted and when opening MainPage.xaml I recieved the following error:

========================================
System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException
Type 'System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException' in assembly 'System.Windows, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' is not marked as serializable.
   at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedView.get_ViewHandle()
   at MS.Internal.Designer.DesignerPane.LoadDesignerView()
========================================

I do not have Expressions installed. Would that make a difference?

Kennet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 03 Dec 2009, 02:17 PM
I get this error when adding RADcontrols to my Silverlight 4 project (VS2010 Beta 2).

Can I use RadControls in SL4 beta?  I'm on Windows 7 64-bit

Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 07 Dec 2009, 01:40 PM
Hello Kennet,

This is caused by a problem in VisualStudio 2010. To work it around you need to copy the Telerik.* assemblies to the PrivateAssemblies or PublicAssemblies folder of the VisualStudio (VSInstallDir\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies and VSInstallDir\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies). This should help you add them manually to the ToolBox. After the SP1 version of RadControls for Silverlight you shouldn't need to add them manually any more.

Regards,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team

Gurcan Yucel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Dec 2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Miroslav,
As you see, there are lots of company needs to use silverlight inVS2010 with telerik controls. We are also want to use it in one of our projects with telerik silverlight controls. To plan our project, is there any time frame to release VS2010 version of telerik silverlight controls? 

Regards.
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 14 Dec 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi Gurcan Yucel,

We released our SP1, version 2009.3 1208. You can find the files under your account's Downloads section. The automatic msi installation will automatically add our controls to the toolbox of VS 2010.

Let us know if you face any problems with that.

Sincerely yours,
Nick
the Telerik team

Jeff Cuscutis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Dec 2009, 03:11 PM
I tried the new update and the items are now in the toolbox. I still receive errors however.
Steps I followed:
Uninstalled previous radcontrols / Installed new radcontrols

New Silverlight Application
Dragged Scheduler onto form successfully
Built and ran successfully

Closed app and received an error in designer:

System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException
Type 'System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException' in assembly 'System.Windows, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' is not marked as serializable.
   at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedView.get_ViewHandle()
   at MS.Internal.Designer.DesignerPane.LoadDesignerView()

Closed form, crashed vs2010
Reopened project, same error in designer

Removed scheduler from xaml, tried to drag new scheduler to designer but the cursor is not allowing a drop
Jeff Cuscutis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Dec 2009, 03:32 PM
Also, the help viewer does not work very well. I have yet to find a page that displays at all without crashing.
Jeff Cuscutis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Dec 2009, 04:10 PM
The scheduler does come up fine in Expressions Blend 3. Don't know if this helps.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Jeff ,

We are still not able to reproduce your problem. The exact same scenario works fine at our side. Could you specify what version of VS2010 you are using. We are using VS2010 Beta2 and also do you have something else in the application even something simple like ScrollViewer.

About the help issue, could you specify the error you are getting and also the version of Microsoft Document Explorer you are using. This will help in the investigation of the problem.

In the meantime you can use our online help.

Best wishes,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Jeff Cuscutis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the help.

My Document Explorer version is: 8.0.5.727.1826 QFE

The error signature when it crashes (on any click to display a page):
AppName: dexplore.exe      AppVer: 8.0.50727.1826     AppStamp:480d53d7
ModName: msenv.dll      ModVer: 8.0.50727.1826      ModStamp:480d6b43
fDebug: 0       Offset: 00485441

When it restarts automatically after the error, it brings up the SQL Server 2005 Books Online (September 2007)

My version of Visual Studio version 2010 is Beta 2 also.

I have tracked down part of what my problem is.
If I make a new project and add the RadScheduler, it works fine. I can close the xaml, the project, or VS2010 and reopen and it works fine until I build. After that I receive my error. As soon as I delete the bin folder for the project I can reopen the xaml successfully.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 19 Dec 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Jeff Cuscutis,

I am using Document Explorer 9. So could you try to install a newer version. You can try this one. Hope it will resolve your problems. It seems strange to me that you are using VS 2010 and you are with older version of Document explorer than me as here on my machine i have only VS2008.
 About the second problem we continue with the investigation and we will make you aware of any changes of its status.

Greetings,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 06:43 AM
Hi,

We are getting a build error

“Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.’”

When we add ANY Telerik Controls to a Silverlight project’s XAML files.

Please describe what could be wrong here and what is the solution.

The software/settings are:

VS 201 Beta 2

Silverlight 4

RadControls_for_Silverlight_2009_3_1208_TRIAL

Thank You.

Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi Monalisa,

The problem seems to be that you are trying to use our Silverlight 3 assemblies with Silverlight 4 installed on your machine. In order to use RadControls with SL4 you need to download them from this location http://www.telerik.com/downloads.aspx?fileid=10057&dispkey=True .

If you still have problems please let me know.

Greetings,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Jeff Cuscutis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 02:48 PM
I am leery of downloading Microsoft Document Explorer from a non Microsoft site. Is there a Microsoft download or is it part of some other package?
Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Dec 2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Boyan,

I downloaded RadControls with SL4 from this location http://www.telerik.com/downloads.aspx?fileid=10057&dispkey=True. But again I am getting the same error i.e. (“Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.’”) when am trying to add any control in XAML file.

Please help

Thank You,
Monalisa

Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
answered on 23 Dec 2009, 09:02 AM
Hello Monalisa,

Is your project working with the Microsoft controls. Or you see this error only with Telerik controls?

Regards,
Valentin.Stoychev
the Telerik team

Monalisa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Dec 2009, 09:33 AM
Hi Valentin,

Thanks for your reply.
My project works fine for Microsoft Controls,Telerik controls with Asp.Net ajax but only problem for RadControls with Silverlight.

Thank you,
Monalisa
Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
answered on 23 Dec 2009, 11:17 AM
Hello Monalisa,

Check this forum post - 
http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/49566.aspx

Please let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Valentin.Stoychev
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Boyan
Telerik team
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1