This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Source Build - VS2012 .NET 4.5.1

2 Answers 49 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
AdrianG
Top achievements
Rank 1
AdrianG asked on 23 Jul 2014, 02:53 PM
Hi

We build Telerik WinForms assemblies from source for redistribution as per your guidelines.

Our application which uses RadControls is being upgraded to target .NET 4.5.1 with VS2012 and I was hoping you could advise if there would be any benefit in also building Telerik assemblies targeted at 4.5.1?

If so, would it be a question of trawling through the various csproj files and creating PropertyGroup conditions for something like 'Release45' using 'Release40' as a starting point?

On the other hand, if we leave the Telerik solution at .NET 4.0 (Release40 config) are you aware of any compatibility issues between .NET 4.0 and 4.5.1, especially from the graphics/drawing perspective?

I hope this question makes sense. Many thanks.

Adrian

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stefan
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jul 2014, 06:49 AM
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for writing.

Telerik UI for WinForms supports two versions of .NET - 2.0 and 4.0. The latter includes a few more components (like RadRichTextBox, RadSpellChecker) and a few control improvements due to the improvements in the .NET framework. For example RadPdfViewer will perform a bit better performance wise with .NET 4.0. There is no benefit from using .NET 4.5, so I would not suggest wasting time to build the controls with it. In addition, there are no issues with drawing or anything from using the 4.0 components with .NET 4.5 (at least so far we have not encountered any, nor we had such reports).

I hope that you find this information useful.

Regards,
Stefan
Telerik

Check out Telerik Analytics, the service which allows developers to discover app usage patterns, analyze user data, log exceptions, solve problems and profile application performance at run time. Watch the videos and start improving your app based on facts, not hunches.

AdrianG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jul 2014, 08:20 AM
That's great, thanks very much for the advice Stefan.

Adrian
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
AdrianG
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stefan
Telerik team
AdrianG
Top achievements