This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Shortcuts

6 Answers 83 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 2
Adam asked on 29 Sep 2008, 08:29 PM
Is there any more documentation other than the help file on how to use ShortCuts?  I am trying to make a row of split-buttons to function as a menu, but I will need an accelerator-type hotkey to open a split button depending on a certain chord (for example, Alt-F to cause the File split-button to show its menu). 

I have tried adding a shortcuts object to the form and using the Assign Shortcuts to assign Alt-I to the ActionCommand for the split button.  I have also tried adding a command to the commandbindings collection on the button itself.  Nothing seems to work.  Any advice?

Thanks

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 30 Sep 2008, 04:17 PM
Hello Adam,

Thank you for reporting the issue. We plan to implement this functionality in one of our future releases.

For the time being, please use the workaround from the attached sample project. 

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.

Regards,
Nick
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Sep 2008, 05:30 PM
Thank you for the sample, I understand the problem a little bit better now.  I tried using the approach in the sample in the application I am working on and am guessing that this solution does not fully work when using a parent form as an MDI parent (with a docking manager) that has the drop down buttons on it.  When I press the Alt-(key) chord nothing happens in this case.  When I let go of Alt push only the key, I get the drop down to show up.  If I run the form and never hit Alt, pushing the key will also do nothing.

Any further advice?  Thanks.
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 01 Oct 2008, 09:46 AM
Hello Adam,

Thank you for your questions.

The same code should work when the dropdownbuttons are positioned in docking windows. You should disable the dropdown opening when dockwindows are hidden. For example, write an if statement in the event handler that opens the dropdown, but first checks that the docking windows is visible/shown.

Please send your project if you have troubles implementing this and I will assist you.

All the best,
Nick
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Oct 2008, 11:23 AM
Currently, the drop down buttons are on a RadPanel docked to the top of the form.  The DockingManager (that I am only using for the tab-strip MDI interface) is docked to fill the rest of the form.

Is using a docking window for the top panel the only way to get this to work?

Nick
Telerik team
answered on 01 Oct 2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Adam,

In short, you are not bound to docking windows.

Following your description, I modified the sample application. As you can see, pressing ALT+F opens the dropdownbutton menu positioned on a panelbar and there is a docking manager below. Is this your case? 

All the best,
Nick
the Telerik team

Adam
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Oct 2008, 08:44 PM
The sample application works exactly how I expect.  Something is interfering with the commands working properly in my project.  I've tried switching over to using a RadMenu and I think that will work for what I need. 

The only difference I could tell was that I was using RadSplitButton instead of RadDropDownButton, but in your sample app, both of them work perfectly.  I'll post more if I run into any more snags.  Thank you for the advice.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Nick
Telerik team
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 2