I downloaded the latest version today (2010.2 714 (Jul 14, 2010) but have found several frustrating problems;
1) The demo for the RichTextBox MSWord doesnt render in the designer, complaining about infinite layout
2) The demo doesn't have the auto-wireup Ribbon bar - is this somewhere else ?
3) The online-preview shows the RichTextBox with a very pretty Table in it - I can't see how to insert a table on the downloaded demo (is this just a picture of a table ?)
6 Answers, 1 is accepted
- The actual code from the Telerik Word example can be found in installation folder, e.g. 'C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for Silverlight Q2 2010\Demos\Examples\RichTextBox\Silverlight\MSWordExample\MsWordExample.xaml' (if you performed default installation) (You can also expect it online at http://demos.telerik.com/silverlight/#RichTextBox/MSWord.) It should render fine in the designer after you compile the project.
- Most of the XAML code in the demo is automatically generated by just dropping the new RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI control onto the designer surface. This way you have auto generated (and wired-up) editing UI for the rich text box also have the ability to fully customize the default UI after the initial XAML code generation. Let us know if you need help with the approach or if you have any suggestions. We just publish a blog post on the topic:
Create Silverlight Word Processor Using Just Visual Studio 2010 Designer.
- The table-looking element in RadRichTextBox Overview is actually RadGridView for Silverlight. The sample picture illustrates the ability for embedding Silverlight UI elements into document. We will be adding such a demo in the online examples very soon. Let us know if you want to take a look at this demo. Unfortunately RadRichTextBox does not support tables yet. This feature is planned for Q3 version.
the Telerik team
I'll try again.
I've now got the demo compiling and working The problem here is that the demo contains, somewhat confusingly, MSWord\Example and Silverlight\MSWordExample\MsWordExample folders within the RichTextBox.Silvlerlight project. The MSWord\Example does not render in the designer, but the second one does.
I'm still confused how to get the auto-wireup Ribbon Bar to work. If I drag and drop the RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI onto a designer surface, I just get an empty ribbon bar. Not Rich Text Editor and no auto wire-up; just an empty ribbon bar... If I attempt to copy and paste the XAML from the example into a blank designer I get most of it, apart from the Tabs on the ribbon bar which are mising. Whats the correct way of using this control ?
It's good to hear that you found the code of the demo.
For RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI to work as expected, you must verify that control in your toolbox is added from the default install directory of Telerik controls. The magic only happens when Visual Studio is able to load the assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.RichTextBoxUI.VisualStudio.Design.dll located generally here:
<program files folder>Telerik\RadControls for Silverlight Q2 2010\Binaries\Silverlight\design
If you are unsure, you may drag Telerik.Windows.Controls.RichTextBoxUI.dll from default install directory to toolbox and use the item added in toolbox from this operation.
If VS is not able to find the designer-related dll, RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI will behave as you reported.
Otherwise, the editing UI XAML should be auto-generated when you drop the component onto the designer surface, or if you select "Load Default Items" from component's designer context menu.
the Telerik team
Need some quick help related to RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI. I am using this version - 2013.3.1016.40 of telerik dlls in my WPF application. I have manually added the required telerik control in VS 2010 toolbox based on the steps given by you here Using RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI . I can see the RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI in VS toolbar now (with few other RAD controls automatically added) but when i drag it to designer surface of desired usercontrol, it does not generate the entire xaml. It only generated this line in my xaml <telerik:RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI Height="100" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="119,240,0,0" Name="radRichTextBoxRibbonUI1" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="200" /> . Even aftert spending hours i can not find any other options to configure this control.I got the related xaml from one of your demo and pasted it but it does not seem to work. I am even not able to use RadRichTextBox in my user control. It says it can not find RadRichTextBox. Please refer the detailed screen snap showing all the current project reference, toolbox controls and xaml and provide some help. Thank you
Another option to generate the XAML code is to drop the toolbox item over a RadRichTextBox instance. Have you tried it?
The examples are updated and built with our latest version that includes new features and the related to them UI. This is why you are unable to build their code with the 2013.3.1016.40 version. I am attaching a sample application that demonstrates the generated default XAML code for the required version.
Hope this helps.
Telerik by Progress