This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Problem with Q2 2008 in project originally made on Q1 2008

9 Answers 70 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Daniel asked on 18 Aug 2008, 02:28 PM
I have project with RadControls for WinForms used within (docking manager, text boxes, tabstrips, labels, buttons) which was made using Q1 2008 controls. Now after upgrading to Q2 2008 I get following message when entering design view. I have to click through the same dialog 5 times (or so) and then designer shows up. What could be the problem? Any clues?

http://mf.ederon.net/telerik/telerik_glypths.jpg

Daniel

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 18 Aug 2008, 03:13 PM
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for writing.

Maybe you reference different versions of the DLLs - for example Telerik.WinControls.dll is 7.0.0.0 but the design DLL (or some other) is a different version (e.g. Telerik.WinControls.UI.dll is 6.0.5.0).
Could you remove all references from the project and add them again, to ensure that all Telerik's DLL are version 7.0.0.0

I also suggest use our project upgrade utility to migrate the project to the latest version.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have other questions.

Kind regards,
Peter
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Aug 2008, 03:58 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for posting. I've checked all referenced libraries of telerik and both are version 7.0. I also upgraded said project using upgrade wizard with no luck (it completed successfully, but I still get the same problem). Do you have any other clues?

Thanks for help
Daniel
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 19 Aug 2008, 08:43 AM
Hello Daniel,

Unfortunately, I cannot suggest other clues that might be of help in your case. Acutally, you are the first one to report such an issue. Therefore, I will be grateful if you open a new support ticket and send me the project (at least the .proj and designer.cs files) to demonstrate the erroneous behavior. This will allow me to analyze the case further, to address any potential issue, and most importantly - to give you better assistance.

I am looking forward to your response.

Best wishes,
Nikolay
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Aug 2008, 08:51 AM
I'll try yet one thing. Controls opening in design were inherited ones and in Q1 I used visual inheritance. You obviously locked this out (specifically with TabStrip). If it's not the case, I'll send you said project.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Aug 2008, 03:36 PM
So, it turned out my suspicion was warranted. It was protected access modifier of RadTabStrip that caused the error. You can see it for yourself in project linked below. There are three controls. First is user control with docking manager (protected), second is inherited control with tab strip added to one of docking panes (protected) and third is inherited 2nd control with error showing,

http://mf.ederon.net/telerik/designererrorspl.zip

Regards,
Daniel
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 20 Aug 2008, 12:11 PM
Hello Daniel,

Thank you very much for the project.

The problem is that we do not support scenarion where there's visual inheritance of TabStrip or  Docking manager. Generally speaking, the visual inheritance might cause problems with any control.
For more information how to workaround this issue (changing  access modifiers) please read carefully following KB

I am attaching the fixed project that follows the instructions from the KB.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have other questions.

Best wishes,
Peter
the Telerik team

Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Aug 2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting is that visual inheritance of Docking Manager causes no problems even without use of AccessThroughProperty attribute. Same with RadLabel. With RadTabStrip, it doesn't help though.

So bottom line for me is that I won't use visual inheritance with RadTabStrip, but keeping it for other control types is crucial for my project where lot of controls is reused throufh inheritance (also visual).

Best regards,
Daniel
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 21 Aug 2008, 02:04 PM
Hi Daniel,

We have fixed the glyph exception for the 2008 Q2 SP1 release, due next week.
However, you should have in mind that RadRibbonBar, RadPanelBar, RadTabStrip, RadToolStrip, RadMenu controls are read-only when they are in an inherited form.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have other questions.

Kind regards,
Peter
the Telerik team

Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Aug 2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info Peter.

I'm not using any of these controls in visual inheritance anymore (I used just tabstrip).

Regards,
Daniel
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Peter
Telerik team
Daniel