This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Populating a Dropdownlist from a Databse

1 Answer 66 Views
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dave asked on 12 Jun 2014, 01:48 PM

Hi, I'm trying to use the autocomplete feature to populate a dropdownlist with permit numbers from a database.  I'm using the Winforms controls and Visual Studio.  Instead of permit numbers appearing in the list I keep getting the following string:  "System.Data.Common.DataRecordInternal"  Here is the code I'm using to pull the data:

 Private Sub txtProjectNumber_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles txtProjectNumber.TextChanged
        If txtProjectNumber.Text.Length >= 7 Then
            Dim SQLConnect As New SQLite.SQLiteConnection
            Dim SQLCommand As New SQLite.SQLiteCommand
            Dim SQLReader As SQLite.SQLiteDataReader = Nothing
            Dim strSQL As String = ""

            SQLConnect.ConnectionString = DataAccess.sqliteConnString
            SQLCommand = SQLConnect.CreateCommand

            Dim autoCompleteProjectNumber As New AutoCompleteStringCollection
            strSQL = "select distinct JobSiteNo from Projects "
            strSQL = strSQL & "where  modulename NOT in ('clrkdata','licndata' ,'stckdata')  "
            strSQL = strSQL & "and placenameprefix = '" & CommonCalls.GetCurrentPNP & "' "
            strSQL = strSQL & "and JobSiteNo not like 'BHP%' "
            strSQL = strSQL & "and JobSiteNo like " & MakeSafeSQL(txtProjectNumber.Text, True) & " "
            strSQL = strSQL & "order by JobSiteNo"
            SQLCommand.CommandType = CommandType.Text
            SQLCommand.CommandText = strSQL

            SQLReader = SQLCommand.ExecuteReader()
            txtProjectNumber.DataSource = SQLReader
            txtProjectNumber.AutoCompleteMode = AutoCompleteMode.Suggest
            txtProjectNumber.AutoCompleteDataSource = autoCompleteProjectNumber
        End If
    End Sub

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?  I've checked bunch of forums but the fixes I've found don't work.

Thanks in Advance!!

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jun 2014, 09:33 AM
Hi Dave,

Thank you for writing.

You need to read the data from the reader, simply passing it as a data source will not work in this case. You can read about how to retrieve the data from the reader here: Retrieving Data Using a DataReader.

I would also recommend you not to open SQL connection on the TextChanged event handler. You can either keep the connection open or pull the data into memory and take it from there. Otherwise you risk some performance penalties.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Check out Telerik Analytics, the service which allows developers to discover app usage patterns, analyze user data, log exceptions, solve problems and profile application performance at run time. Watch the videos and start improving your app based on facts, not hunches.
Asked by
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Telerik team
Share this question