This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Performance issues

1 Answer 40 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Stuart asked on 08 Jul 2011, 02:28 PM

Hi

Ever since we started porting an old asp.net site into a SL 4 MVVM app we've been coming up against the same issues of performance. If anyone could give me their advice on the situation it would be much appeciated.

Basically we're converting (and upating) many management information pages that invariably consist of a number of datagrids (readonly) and time series charts. For example the current page I'm working on has a small datagrid and two such charts - each with two line series of a couple of hundred data points each. The datagrid we use is just the standard toolkit one and the chart component is the one from Telerik. My problem is, and has always been, that the pages in SL always seem to take a significant time over and above the equivalent asp.net one to render.

In looking at this specific page I've tried to isolate the problem and I'm pretty sure that all the delay is in the rendering of the charts - for example when I comment out the charts the grid loads pretty quickly. As the grid uses the same data as the charts I'm guessing that the WCF RIA service is suitably fast. Given that all the delay is in these 'heavy' components is there any way round this? Do people think that I just have to accept it or would they recommend that I recognise the weakness and where necessary instead use a server side component such as Chart Director to generate png files? Are others suffering from this?

Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vladimir Milev
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 08:30 AM
Hello Stuart,

You may find it useful to review these online resources:
http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radchart-performance-tips-and-tricks.html
http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radgridview-performance-tips-tricks.html

All the best,
Vladimir Milev
the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

Tags
Chart
Asked by
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vladimir Milev
Telerik team
Share this question
or