This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

No difference in selected items and 'current' item due to styles in Q1 2010 SP2

1 Answer 82 Views
ComboBox and ListBox (obsolete as of Q2 2010)
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Mydatafactory
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mydatafactory asked on 10 May 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi all,

I have upgraded my application from Q1 2010 SP1 to Q1 2010 SP2 to fix a memory leak. However, in this new Service Pack I encounter another problem:

I have a couple of listboxes with multiselect, in which the user can select multiple items. I use the theme Office 2007 Silver in my application, and in Q1 2010 SP1 (and older versions) it was clear: selected items had a grey background and the 'current' item had a grey border around the item. So when a user deselects an item it changes from a grey background (selected) to a grey border (current). See also the first attached screenshot.

In SP2 however, the styles\themes seem to have changed. Both the selected items and the current item are now orange. The exact same color of orange... So the difference between the selected items and the 'current' (possibly not-selected) item is not visible. Also  when a user deselects an item, it is not visible that the item is deselected until the users selectes another item. See the second attached screenshot.

This is not only with the Office 2007 theme but also with other themes. The only theme so far where this still works correct is 'Breeze', which I am not going to use in my application. Is this a mistake with the themes/styles or is this intentional? Can I adjust this by making my own theme (copied from Office 2007)? I have no experience with the Visual Style Builder and cannot find the 'selected item' style and the 'current item' style for ListBoxes in the Style Builder... Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
A. Bennen.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Victor
Telerik team
answered on 10 May 2010, 03:45 PM
Hi A.,

Thank you for writing. There are two issues that lead to the behavior you describe:
  1. When you edit the RadListBoxElement in the drop down of RadComboBox in the VSB, the settings are saved in a file called ThemeName_Telerik_WinControls_UI_RadSizablePopupControl.xml. However there is a real RadSizablePopupControl which later in the saving process overwrites the previously generated file with the same name. We decided to remove the ability to edit the list box element because if you were able to edit it and then save it, your file would be overwritten, which means that no changes would have been applied.
  2. With our new theming mechanism we ran into the issue described above. This means that editing the list box inside RadComboBox is not an option, which in turn means that we have two choices, either create a correct list box theme with different Active and Selected states, or create a list box theme with identical Active and Selected states so that we don't break the previous combo box themes. Since the old combo box themes had no Selected and only an Active state this is the only option to at least partially avoiding breaking the old combo's themes. We decided to keep the combo theme and not the list box theme, because we estimated that RadComboBox is more often used than the stand-alone RadListBox. 

Luckily you can easily modify the existing themes to your liking by simply editing the theme for RadListBox in Visual Style Builder and changing the Active and Selected states to something you deem appropriate.
Once we resolve the first issue we address the second one.

Please write again if you have other questions or if you need assistance with our controls.

All the best,
Victor
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Tags
ComboBox and ListBox (obsolete as of Q2 2010)
Asked by
Mydatafactory
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Victor
Telerik team
Share this question
or