This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

multi sort behavior

3 Answers 101 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jeff asked on 19 May 2015, 05:33 PM

The silverlight grid we are replacing allowed multi sort, but required control clicking the column header to enable it. I prefer this method over the way it works by default in kendo using sortable: { mode: "multiple", allowUnsort: true } where if you are sorted by ColA and you want to be sorted by ColC user has to first click ColA to unsort then ColC to sort.

I would prefer it to work as follows:

a) if you just click without holding control, the sort is always reset to just the column clicked on - with the caveat that i guess if the column clicked on is already the sort column it toggles thru its states of asc/desc/unsorted like it presently works.

b) if the user is holding the Ctrl key when they click on a column, then the column is appended to the current sort column list if any with the caveat that if it is already in that list, the direction toggles.

Would it be possible to override some things to get this behavior?

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alexander Popov
Telerik team
answered on 21 May 2015, 01:01 PM
Hi Jeff,

I am afraid that the Kendo UI Grid does not support that kind of sorting and there is no good workaround that we could offer.

Regards,
Alexander Popov
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Bridge24
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 25 May 2015, 03:28 PM

Hi, my question is on the same subject, so I'll add my comment...

We just tried the "grid sort multiple" mode.  

It's very strange that, by clicking the "second" column we need to sort, it doesn't sort by this line in priority.

Is it possible to add the "last clicked" column at the top, not at the end, of the "sort array"?

Let's take a sample from "google docs". https://goo.gl/GzRddn

If I sort "first name" from Z to A, and AFTER, I sort Last Name from A to Z, my sort will be "lastName ASC, firstName DESC".

That's the behavior I would like in kendo grid "multiple" feature.

Instead of adding at the end of the "sort" datasource array, is it possible to allow us, from a simple sort config, to add at the "top" of the sort array?

I think that this config can also help Jeff who needs to sort its data that way. But, without holding the "ctrl" key.  Just, automatically remember the last sorted column, and keep it as "second" field.

Thank you.

Alexander Popov
Telerik team
answered on 27 May 2015, 08:25 AM
Hi Dani,

This is also not supported at this point, so I would encourage you to submit it as a feature request on our feedback portal. That would allow us and other members of the community to evaluate and vote for it, thus helping us prioritize it.

Regards,
Alexander Popov
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Tags
Grid
Asked by
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alexander Popov
Telerik team
Bridge24
Top achievements
Rank 1