I experienced some missing(?) translation using kendoDateTimePicker.
I have set these options:
The option dateInput shows date/time/.... as text (help) inside the input field if it's empty, what is nice. Setting the culture to any German language country (probably a problem in all other non English countries too) the help text still appears in English. See attachment as it looks like with the sample code above. Inside the calendar datepicker window the translation (in that case German) is set and correct.
It's not a big issue and I don't know if that is wanted or just overseen doing the translations.
8 Answers, 1 is accepted
I can assume that the issue occurs as these messages are coming from the DateInput which is a new widget and all of the translations are not added.
The messages files are community driven. Please check the following article demonstrating how they can be modified:
I can suggest the following article demonstrating how the messages can be changed or extended:
Also, I can suggest submitting a feature request, which will allow setting the messages, similar to the DateInput widget:
I hope this will help to add the missing messages.
I tried to find out how it should work but I can't. I went through the links you offered but none explains how to proceed. On the one hand there are a lot of message files here: https://github.com/telerik/kendo-ui-core/tree/master/src/messages (not minified)
On the other hand there are a lot of message files in .../telerik/js/messages (but all minifed). I assume they kinda same files have to be brought together (the provided link speaks about "synchronize"). Or can I just replace the ones with the others (tough one is not minifed)?
Furthermore I checked some files at and would have expected there are conditions like
but there is not. The message files in ../Telerik/js/messages all have day/month/year... defintions in it. Would it not be obvious Telerik would use them for the DateInput placeholder mask?
Only the en-US culture have messages for all widgets.
If the used culture is de-DE, then in the kendo.messages.de-DE file the following code should be added:
The changes should be made on the non-minified version, which can be minified with external minificator.
This seems to be a tough task to make it work. I've tried several things but dateInput always appears in English. Please let me know where I'm doing something wrong while trying to add German to the de-DE culture for the dateInput:
1. I make sure I'm using the correct culture in the code of my project (in my case German):
3. I take code from file kendo.messages.de-DE.js found on https://github.com/telerik/kendo-ui-core/tree/master/src/messages and add the code above from you into this file.
4. I let it minify, f.e. https://www.willpeavy.com/minifier/ and copy my file 'kendo.messages.de-DE.min.js.map' to /telerik/js/message (replaces the one there).
The only thing that confuses me: My new file (minified) has a size of 17KB while the original file kendo.messages.de-DE.min.js.map has a size of 39KB. The original file 'kendo.messages.de-DE.min.js' has a size of 18KB that comes way closer to my created file.
So I also have replaced kendo.messages.de-DE.min.js with my created file (.map file restored of course) to make sure this might be the problem but still taking English text in dateInput.
Do you see what I did wrong? Btw. I'm working with the licensed version. Maybe this all works only with the free Core version(?).
I guess I screwed it up with kendo.messages.de-DE.min.js and kendo.messages.de-DE.min.js.map. So I'm pretty sure I have to enhance the file 'kendo.messages.de-DE.min.js' located at .../telerik/js/messages. Whatever I did the KendoUi framework did not switch to any other language! I have created a working example showing a kendo editor. I would expect that the tooltips and also text behind certain buttons (insert link, insert image, ...) would appear in German. If you let run the following sample you stil will all see in English. So the default ('en-US') will be taken. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong or forgot something.
The provided example is loading the culture files instead of the messages file. The culture file is responsible for formatting of the dates and the values. The messages file is responsible for the messages.
Once I loaded the messages file the tooltip messages were translated(except) the "Format" DropDown:
In your scenario, the kendo.messages.de-DE.js has to be changed in the demonstrated way in the previous reply. Then it could be minified using an external minifier.