This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

LESS restructured in 902 but docs out of date

1 Answer 30 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ryan asked on 28 Sep 2015, 02:29 PM

I use kendo's source LESS files as part of my build. I updated to 902 but quickly realized theme-template.less is now missing. http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/web/appearance-styling still references this file.

I briefly looked at the source but feel more comfortable asking what/how I should include the less files now.

kendo.flat.less has a single import - type-flat.less. type-flat.less imports common/mixins and themes/type.less but then it goes on to define styles that have nothing to do with type? border-color? background-color? I don't follow the rationale here.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 30 Sep 2015, 08:21 AM

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for bringing our attention to this issue. The page will be updated shortly, along with the new Q3 release.

The changed file structure is due to refactoring of the themes. Previously, all themes included the same theme-template.less. This was a good approach for themes that did not have many differences, but has proven error-prone as we created different themes: some themes required overrides for buttons, others for colors, or different header styles. This lead to an explosion of LESS variables, which made customization unthinkable.

To resolve this problem, we have split the themes into types, and each kendo.theme.less uses only the minimum set of colors that need to be defined. The type-theme.less files convert these colors to an actual theme, depending on what theme you need to create -- if you want to base your theme on Metro, you can use type-metro.less. To base your theme on Material, use type-material.less.

I hope this clears up the reasoning behind the change. If you need more information, let me know.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
Share this question
or