This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Handling 401 Unauthorised Responses

3 Answers 831 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 1
Nick asked on 27 Feb 2013, 03:53 PM
I'm using the grid to fetch data from an ASPNET MVC intranet application which has Authorize attributes on the create/edit/delete actions.  The application uses WIndow authentication.

Rather than let the browser prompt the user for new credentials, I want to display a dialog or similar to inform the user politely they do not have the correct authorisation to perform that action.

Is there a way to configure the grid to handle 401 (or 403 if it is more suitable) in such a way?

Also, as a side note, my grid is in batch edit mode by default. Is there a way to put the grid into readonly if the user does not have permission for editing? Or do I need to define the grid twice and show a different partial view based on roles?

Thanks,
Nick

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 01 Mar 2013, 12:20 PM
Hello Nick,

You could use the dataSource error event to check the error status and display a Window. The grid does not support disabling editing dynamically on the client. You could either recreate the Grid with editing disabled:

.Editable(e => e.Mode(GridEditMode.InCell).Enabled(isAuthorized))
or hide the buttons and stop the events:
function error(e) {
    if (e.errors){
    }
    else if (e.xhr.status == 401) {
        //show message
        var grid = $("#grid").data("kendoGrid");
        grid.table.on("click", "tbody > tr", function (e) {
            e.stopPropagation();
        });
        grid.element.find("> .k-grid-toolbar").hide();
    }               
}
Regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Mar 2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Daniel.

Issue 1 - 401 Errors
I have modified my error handler to catch 401 and display a message, all good. But the handler does not fire until the user dismisses the browser's prompts to re-authenticate.  Is there any way to prevent this?

Issue 2 - Readonly/Edit b Role
I have modified my .Editable option as follows:
.Editable(e => e.Mode(GridEditMode.InCell).Enabled(User.IsInRole("EditMonitor")))
Which does indeed write the grid in readonly when the user doesn't have the role  :D

Unfortunately it doesn't hide the toolbar.  Clicking on the Add New Item button now causes an error.

I couldn't find a similar method on the toolbar settings anywhere, have I missed something?

Thanks,
Nick

Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 05 Mar 2013, 03:17 PM
Hello Nick,

I do not think that there is a way to prevent the default behavior without a custom attribute. I can suggest to create one and replace the result with a custom error:

public class CustomAuthorizeAttribute : AuthorizeAttribute
{
   public override void OnAuthorization(AuthorizationContext filterContext)
   {
       base.OnAuthorization(filterContext);
       if (filterContext.Result is HttpUnauthorizedResult && filterContext.HttpContext.Request.IsAjaxRequest())
       {
           filterContext.Result = new JsonResult()
           {
               Data = new { Errors = new { unauthorized = "message" } }
           };
       }
   }
}
function error(e) {
    if (e.errors && e.errors.unauthorized) {
    }
}
Regarding your question about the ToolBar, there is not an enabled method but if there are not commands or template added then it will not be used:
.ToolBar(toolbar =>
    {
        if (User.IsInRole("EditMonitor"))
        {
            toolbar.Save();
        }
    })

Regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Tags
Grid
Asked by
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Daniel
Telerik team
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 1