This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Functionality Question

3 Answers 98 Views
SyntaxEditor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Michael asked on 24 Nov 2020, 12:44 AM

Hi. I am looking at using your SyntaxEditor control and had a few questions before I dive into this. I have read all forum items and all documentation. I am pretty sure your control supports these questions, but I want to double check.

I have a custom language where I would need dynamic Inteliprompt lists to be displayed. For instance, if I have a variable and I press a period. I would like different lists to be displayed based on datatype (which I would parse out ahead of time). Is this dynamic functionality available?

Next, at times I need the control to be read-only. Is this available?

Next, while the control is read-only, can I dynamically highlight a single row and change this highlighted row as needed via your API?

Lastly, are the language element tooltips dynamic? Is there an event that fires or something I may intercept to set the tooltip for a language element (i.e. a variable) before it is displayed? (I assume your tooltips use your tooltip control.)

Thank you for your time. 

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dilyan Traykov
Telerik team
answered on 25 Nov 2020, 01:58 PM

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your interest in the RadSyntaxEditor control.

I want to start by saying that I also believe you can achieve all of your requirements by using the control. I will now try to address your specific inquiries in the order you've defined them:

I have a custom language where I would need dynamic Inteliprompt lists to be displayed. For instance, if I have a variable and I press a period. I would like different lists to be displayed based on datatype (which I would parse out ahead of time). Is this dynamic functionality available?
- Indeed, you can dynamically populate the CompletionListItems collection of the CompletionListWindow's presenter as demonstrated in the IntelliPrompts article. You can handle the various events of the control to determine when to show the window and what items to populate it with.

Next, at times I need the control to be read-only. Is this available?
- The RadSyntaxEditor control does expose an IsReadOnly which disallows users from making changes in the editor.

Next, while the control is read-only, can I dynamically highlight a single row and change this highlighted row as needed via your API?
- We recently introduced a LineHighlightTagger class which exposes a HighlightLines method that can be used to highlight particular lines of the RadSyntaxEditor control. It will be available with our next internal build on Monday, 30.11.

Lastly, are the language element tooltips dynamic? Is there an event that fires or something I may intercept to set the tooltip for a language element (i.e. a variable) before it is displayed? (I assume your tooltips use your tooltip control.)
- You can have a look at the CustomToolTipTagger class from the Taggers demo in our WPF Controls Samples application. As you can notice it provides a UpdateSearchWord method which takes the word to add a tooltip to, but you can extend the tagger to work with multiple words.
I hope you find this information helpful and that I managed to answer all of your inquiries. Please let me know if any further questions or concerns arise.

Regards,
Dilyan Traykov
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Nov 2020, 09:22 PM

Dilyan, thank you for this information and pointing me in the right direction. I will look the articles and your samples over. 

Dilyan Traykov
Telerik team
answered on 01 Dec 2020, 12:13 PM

Hello Michael,

You are more than welcome. Do let me know if any further questions or concerns arise.

Regards,
Dilyan Traykov
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Tags
SyntaxEditor
Asked by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Dilyan Traykov
Telerik team
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1