The question was answered in a private support thread, but I will also paste the answer here, so the community can benefit also:
For the time being, we can offer the following supported features and techniques:
- frozen columns can work together with column templates with no issues
- frozen columns and row template are unfortunately mutually exclusive - this is mentioned in the following documentation section:
- it is possible to use a custom edit form with custom buttons outside the Grid - this is demonstrated at:
- using a custom edit form inside the Grid is not supported, but you can use the built-in edit form and add a new row as soon as the previously added/edited one is saved and dataBound is fired.
- the Grid's built-in inline and popup editing mechanism can add only one row at a time. It is possible to add multiple rows to the Grid via the same form on the page, if you do this programmatically via the Grid dataSource API:
Telerik by Progress
Kendo UI is ready for Visual Studio 2017 RC! Learn more.