This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Designer Error

5 Answers 638 Views
RichTextBox (obsolete as of Q3 2014 SP1)
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Kirk Couser
Top achievements
Rank 1
Kirk Couser asked on 15 Jul 2011, 04:10 PM
Has anyone else gotten this error after saving the form with the RichTextBox and reopening the designer in Vs2010?

at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.SetValue(Object component, Object value)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkPropertyDescriptor.SetValue(Object component, Object value)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomSerializerBase.DeserializePropertyAssignStatement(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeAssignStatement statement, CodePropertyReferenceExpression propertyReferenceEx, Boolean reportError)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomSerializerBase.DeserializeAssignStatement(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeAssignStatement statement)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomSerializerBase.DeserializeStatement(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeStatement statement)

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kirk Couser
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2011, 04:17 PM
Seems to be caused by setting the IsSpellCheckingEnabled property to true in the designer, leaving it as false corrects the error.
Kirk Couser
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2011, 05:03 PM
However setting the property programatically after the InitializeComponent call works fine
Kirk Couser
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2011, 05:17 PM
Also upon adding 2 RichTextBox controls and enabling Spell Check in both to the same form in different RadPageViews you get this exception:

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
  Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  Source=Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox
  StackTrace:
       at Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox.TextSearch.DocumentTextMap.MoveToFirstBoxInWord(DocumentPosition position)
       at Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox.TextSearch.DocumentTextMap.InitMap(DocumentPosition fromPosition, DocumentPosition toPosition)
       at Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox.Proofing.DocumentProofingManager.UpdateIncorrectWordsList(DocumentPosition fromPosition, DocumentPosition toPosition)
       at Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox.Proofing.DocumentProofingManager.UpdateIncorrectWordsList()
       at Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox.Model.RadDocument.set_IsSpellCheckingEnabled(Boolean value)
       at Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox.DocumentView.set_IsSpellCheckingEnabled(Boolean value)
       at Telerik.WinControls.RichTextBox.RadRichTextBox.set_IsSpellCheckingEnabled(Boolean value)

Not setting the IsSpellCheckingEnabled to true for one of them after a recompile corrected the error.
Kirk Couser
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jul 2011, 01:55 PM
I also noticed on an HP Mini netbook (Intel Atom CPU), there is a 2-3 second delay upon starting to type in a RichTextBox.  On an Intel i3 and i7 notebook this delay isn't noticeable.  Is there any way I could call whatever is being initialized (I assume the dictionary) ahead of time so there won't be a delay?

Also the spellchecking seems to randomly stop working when typing, no errors/exceptions being thrown.  Wasn't sure if this was known or not.
Svett
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jul 2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Kirk,

I managed to reproduce the null reference exception issue. It will be addressed in the upcoming service pack. In the meantime, you can set the property at run-time after the InitializeComponents method call. For the upcoming service pack our goal is to fix all critical and known issues regarding RadRichTextBox control. We know about the performance issues. They will be improved in one of the next major releases.

I did not manage to reproduce the spell checking issue. Could you illustrate the exact steps that we should follow to achieve it?

I updated your Telerik points.

Best wishes,
Svett
the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

Tags
RichTextBox (obsolete as of Q3 2014 SP1)
Asked by
Kirk Couser
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Kirk Couser
Top achievements
Rank 1
Svett
Telerik team
Share this question
or