This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Compiled with lots of XA0106 warning

9 Answers 116 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
CT
Top achievements
Rank 1
CT asked on 10 Apr 2018, 04:31 AM

Hi,

Recently I added Telerik UI for Xamarin Chart to my Xamarin Forms project. When I compiled my Android project, I received few hundred of XA0106 warning.

Below is my Android project configuration and reference to support library as below,

• Portable Project as .NetStandard 2.0
  • Xamarin Forms v2.5.0.122203
  • Android Support Libraries v 27.0.2
  • Android Project target framework set to Android Oreo 8.1 (API 27) with minimum version of Android 6.0 (API 23)

As according to here https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/xamarin/installation-and-deployment/required-android-support-libraries my project setup look good. Is there anything I missed out which generated few hundred of XA0106 warning?

Regards,

CT

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Stefan Nenchev
Telerik team
answered on 12 Apr 2018, 08:48 AM
Hi, CT,

Thank you for sharing the detailed information regarding your setup. However, currently, the controls are internally built with Android API 23 support libraries and this seems to cause the warnings. However, they should not cause any issues at runtime and your application should build and run as expected. We are going to upgrade the API level with which the controls are internally build in the near future so these warnings should disappear once we take this action. You can follow the new versions and install them once they are available.

Have a great rest of the week.

Regards,
Stefan Nenchev
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
CT
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2018, 01:38 PM

Thanks Stefan, and I will check out the next release update.

CT

Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 May 2018, 05:31 PM
Any update on this? I'm getting 477 warnings on the latest version that was released 5 days ago, 2018.2.516.2.
Lance | Manager Technical Support
Telerik team
answered on 23 May 2018, 03:41 PM
Hi Steven,

The UI for Xamarin 2018.2.516 release is also built using Xamarin.Forms 2.4 and Android Support API 23, this is why you're seeing the warnings. Rest assured that, even though the warnings can be annoying, they won't have any impact on the app's ability to perform as expected.

We are currently working with high priority on updating the minimum Xamarin.Forms version to overcome a breaking change Xamarin introduced in 2.5.1, at which time we'll also be updating the Android API level as well.

When a version is released, we put such important changes in the Release Notes for that version. This page will list all the versions released: UI for Xamarin Release History. You can always pop in there to see if there were dependency changes.

Regards,
Lance | Tech Support Engineer, Sr.
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jul 2018, 05:32 PM

Im sorry, but the answer of "I know they are annoying but they dont affect build"

If using continuous integration, this is causing me to trawl through 600+ of these warnings to make sure that within those 600 warnings isnt a legitimate warning.

As a rule, projects shouldn't have any warnings as to not hide anything that is a legitimate warning.

Even if you cannot fix it, it seems your tooling doesnt check for the correct suppress flags so we cannot even opt out of being notified about these so called "pointless" errors.

It is not the 18th and i am still getting these errors. Not to mention that in order to upgrade the project to v27 i had to remove ALL packages as the package manager seems to think a >= it a plain old = and wouldnt let packages upgrade.

This is purely unacceptable and quite frankly im glad we are not having to pay the subscription fees for this level of broken releases.

Telerik team
answered on 19 Jul 2018, 03:39 PM
Hi Stuart,

Thank you for the feedback, this will be resolved soon.

My comment about how "it won't affect final build" was to confirm that UI for Xamarin is compatible with newer versions of Xamarin.Android.Support libraries, despite the warnings. It wan't intended to say you should accept that ignoring all warnings is okay, or that it's okay to scroll through 600 false flag warnings to find a legitimate one.

We intended to release this in a minor service update, however it needed to be moved up to the next major update. Introducing a breaking change (updating minimum required dependencies) in a minor service update (2018.2.516 - 2018.2.620) wasn't an viable option. Instead, we'll increase this in the next major update (2018.3.xx), which will consequently resolve the warnings.

NuGet Package Strict Version Catch-22

Regarding the package version dependency issue with the NuGet package manager ("=" vs ">=") , this was due to Xamarin.Forms 2.4 having a strict version dependency on Xamarin.Android packages at v23.3. The Telerik UI for Xamarin required Android Support library versions aren't for a specific version, as long as they're at least 23.3.

Note that Microsoft stopped doing this for newer releases of Xamarin.Forms, so you shouldn't need to do the tedious "uninstall all packages" trick just to upgrade them. 

Licensing

We don't have subscription fees, the purchased product license is perpetual. I checked to see which version you're using, but your account has never downloaded UI for Xamarin (trial or dev). How did you obtain the UI for Xamarin assemblies?

If you using your employer's license, they can quickly assign you as the developer here. The licensing is per-developer, sharing a product license is against terms of service.  If you need any help with this, let me know.

Further Assistance

If you have any further questions or issues, don't hesitate to open a ticket or forum thread so that we can assist further. Note that to open a ticket you'll need to be assigned to the UI for Xamarin license as I mentioned above.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to resolve this.

Regards,
Progress Telerik
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jul 2018, 06:45 PM

Hi Lance,

Thank you for your response. I apologies for the amount of frustration in my last post. As you can imagine, under strict SLA's it is difficult to get actual work done when time is invested in chasing red herrings.

With regards to the licensing comment, i was mixing up providers. I was referring to having used to pay for Xamarin.Forms when it was initially released. Again this is one of those moments a step back is needed.

Thanks again for your help and i eagerly await a fix for this annoying little issue :)

Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jul 2018, 06:48 PM

I forgot to comment on the usage:

The assemblies i added via NuGet they end in .Trial I didnt need to download them from your website as i could see them in my nuget feed.

Telerik team
answered on 20 Jul 2018, 12:53 PM
Hello Stuart,

Thank you for the clarification.

I have created a Feedback Portal item for this: Common: Android Build Warnings. Click the "Follow" button to subscribe, so that you'll get an email when the status changes.

Regards,
Progress Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
CT
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stefan Nenchev
Telerik team
CT
Top achievements
Rank 1