This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Chart rendering performance dropped (2015 Q3 vs 2014 Q3)

3 Answers 41 Views
Charts
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dirk
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dirk asked on 12 Oct 2015, 09:07 AM

Hi,

I just upgraded my solution from Kendo UI 2014 Q3 version to 2015 Q3 and experienced a massive drop in chart rendering performance.

Comparing both versions on the same machine (server, browser) an area chart with about 20000 data points now takes 2-3 times (Chrome: 15s vs 7s; 25s vs 10s in Firefox) more time to finish rendering.

Why?

Did I miss something?

Is there a simple solution to achieve same rendering performance of the chart as in 2014 Q3 version?

Regards,

Dirk

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
answered on 14 Oct 2015, 08:23 AM
Hello,

The best way to confirm this regression would be a test case set up to closely replicate your scenario.

A snippet in the Dojo with the configuration you're using and stub data would be ideal.
Profiling the real application is also an option, but might be inappropriate or less convenient for you.

Regards,
T. Tsonev
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Dirk
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Nov 2015, 08:48 AM

Hi,
I tried to setup a snippet as you suggested and found that the regression is caused by the rendering of the category axis labels.

What I've found is that the chart renders at least ten times faster (which is really good!) if there are no labels at all.

So I adopted my javascript function (al lot of calculating if and where to put labels) and set the step property for the labels accordingly from 1 to appropriate value (6, 12, 48, 720) based on chart width, amount of data, …

My suggestion is to state in documentation that if the chart renders slowly use label settings (step property) to speed things up.

Regards
Dirk

Accepted
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
answered on 30 Nov 2015, 09:09 AM
Hi,

That's a good point. I'll add it to the documentation as it's a common explanation for poor performance.

Even better, we could add a run-time check and log a warning into the console if it's above a certain number.

Regards,
T. Tsonev
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Tags
Charts
Asked by
Dirk
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
Dirk
Top achievements
Rank 1