This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

BeginEdit

9 Answers 182 Views
Treeview
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Paul Gallen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Paul Gallen asked on 08 Dec 2008, 12:47 PM
Hi,

BeginEdit has stopped working after installing latest release, Can you confrim this?

Thanks

P

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jordan
Telerik team
answered on 09 Dec 2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Paul Gallen,

I just tried with the code below and it seems to work (an editor opens at the correct location and I can edit the text of the node).
this.radTreeView1.Nodes[0].Nodes[1].Selected = true
this.radTreeView1.BeginEdit(); 

You should note that the BeginEdit method of RadTreeView opens an editor for the currently selected node (if there is one).

Or may be I am missing some detail specific for your case. Could you share more details?

Regards,
Jordan
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Paul Gallen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for getting back to me.

below is a code snippet from my app which works in version 7.1.1.0

Dim

NewNode As New RadTreeNode

Me.CurrentNode.Nodes.Add(NewNode)

NewNode.Selected =

True

NewNode.Tag = eAction.CreatePrivateEvent

NewNode.Text =

"Private Event"

NewNode.BeginEdit()

The above code causes the new node to be selected and in edit mode where the user can freely type some text.

I installed version 8 (I think its version 8, the Latest version anyway). And this functionally stopped working.

Note : my example makes use of a new node which is then added to the collection of nodes. Your example makes use of an existing node

hopes this gives more clues.

Best

P

Jordan
Telerik team
answered on 11 Dec 2008, 10:23 AM
Hello Paul Gallen,

This is most probably due to the fact that the BringIntoView method is not automatically called any more when a node is selected. This change was done so that you have more control over where the RadTreeView control scrolls to.

You will know that this is the problem if the problem occurs when the new node is added somewhere in the tree where it is not visible.

To solve this you should make the tree control scroll to the newly added node before calling BeginEdit like below:

this.radTreeView1.BeginUpdate(); 
            this.radTreeView1.Nodes[0].Nodes.Add(node); 
            node.Selected = true
            this.radTreeView1.BringIntoView(node); 
            this.radTreeView1.EndUpdate(); 

this.radTreeView1.BeginEdit(); 

In the above snippet I have "wrapped" the calls in a Begin/EndUpdate calls to optimize layout.

It is very important that you set the EnableDefferedScrolling property of RadTreeView to false like below in order to have the editor retain the correct size:

this
.radTreeView1.EnableDeferredScrolling = false;

This must be done before any calls to to the BringIntoViewMethod, may be in the form constructor or the OnLoad override.

Kind regards,
Jordan
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Paul Gallen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Dec 2008, 05:34 PM
OK thanks for letting me know, however, I do not have to implement your recomendations prior to your latest release, between these two versions something has changed with regards to your treeview.

The code snippet I provided works fine and I do not have to apply your recommendations.(Q2 release)

Because of the different behavior of the last two releases, I had to uninstall your latest release and work with Q2 release, this has cost me a lot of time, and I doubt I will moving to your latest release in the near future. I cannot afford to have unexpected behavior changes

very disappointing

P
Mike
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2008, 04:35 PM
Hi Paul Gallen,

It is not good news that you have troubles migrating to the newer version. With each release we try to keep the backwards compatibility as much as possible. Nevertheless, there are some small, but inevitable changes, such as the one discussed here. It is because we constantly add value to our products with new functionality that our customers constantly request.

We are glad to have your feedback and this will really help us to set our focus for the next releases. Please get back to us if we can help any further.

Sincerely yours,
Mike
the Telerik team

Paul Gallen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Dec 2008, 05:00 PM
I appreciate that you guys are under pressure to make your tool set the best on the market,

but with such a behavioral change as I have experienced, can it be safe to upgrade when I am under pressure to get the software application out to my customers.

This is a problem when using 3rd party controls

maxim:- If it works don't touch it

P
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 15 Dec 2008, 03:22 PM
Indeed, this is one of the risks that come with using 3rd party software, and we understand your position completely, because we also depend on other 3rd party solutions that we use daily. Breaking changes are always a pain, and if there is a deadline that has to be kept, things escalate quickly.

We are thankful for your feedback and push to keep full backwards compatibility and we will do our best to do so in the future. We are deeply sorry for the introduced inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Nick
the Telerik team

Paul Gallen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Dec 2008, 03:48 PM
Therefore

Can I trust Telerik not to break anything else, I have so much code going on I cannot even upgrade in fear of breaking something else

Looks like I'm stuck with my current version for a very long time /:(
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 16 Dec 2008, 05:07 PM
Hello Paul Gallen,

We meticulously try not to introduce any breaking changes, but sometimes this is quite hard. It has always been our priority to introduce no breaking changes in major releases. However, as with all software, things evolve: new technologies and methodologies emerge, there are shifts in customer requirements and expectations, code needs to be optimized, performance need to be improved, etc. These are all valid business reasons to do something differently than we did it 3 years ago, so that we can introduce new features and products, and keep our customers happy with new features and improvements.

Our policy on that if we are to introduce breaking changes, we mark the old properties and methods as obsolete so that our customers can respond to the changes without breaking the applications. Our policy is to support obsolete properties and methods for at least one major release, however since this is a bit short in the WinForms world, we usually support them for 2 or 3 major releases, depending on the impact of the change(s).

In other, we cannot promise 100% that we will have no breaking changes in the future. Should you decide to upgrade to one of our subsequent releases, you can rest assured that we will help you as much as we can through our forums and support system, even if we have to upgrade your project ourselves to the new version.

All the best,
Nick
the Telerik team

Tags
Treeview
Asked by
Paul Gallen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jordan
Telerik team
Paul Gallen
Top achievements
Rank 1