This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Arabic Support for RadControls Q1 2009

3 Answers 85 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
waleed
Top achievements
Rank 1
waleed asked on 31 Mar 2009, 10:07 AM
Dear,

i have a business need that through it i will implement a website in arabic and english and i decide to choose a silverlight to deliver the content of that website, and when i came to the arabic part of that website i didn't find any official support from Microsoft for RTL languages (include arabic ofcourse)
so i wondering if there is any Arabic support in Telerik RadControls Q1 2009?
and if there is No support when it will be implemented?
and can i contribute with you in any future project for implementing that support?

thank you

please answer soon

Software Developer

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team
answered on 31 Mar 2009, 02:40 PM
Hello,

There is a open source project on codeplex that tries to add the missing RTL functionality in Silverlight 2:
http://www.codeplex.com/SilverlightRTL

Unfortunately RadControls for Silverlight do not support RTL out of the box. Generally speaking, all we have to do is to replace all ContentPresenter and ContentControl controls in all RadControls' templates with the special ContentControl from the link above. However, this might not work seamlessly with all controls and might require some coding on our side. I cannot promise such support for the upcoming service pack next week, but we could try to provide a custom theme which has RTL support with the Q2 release, which is scheduled for the summer.

We will be glad to help if you try to create such theme, so please, do not hesitate to write again with any problem you might encounter.

Greetings,
Valeri Hristov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Ido
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2009, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I'm too am interested in RTL support, my case it's Hebrew and not Arabic, but it's all the same.

I am aware of SilverlightRTL project and I'm using it to enable RTL writing and displaying of text in Telerik's and other 3rd party control suites, but what bothers me is not the RTL writing/showing of text but the Right-To-Left "look and feel" of the controls.

When we write/read from the right to the left, the control look is a bit different - text should be aligned to the right, scrollbars appear to the left of the control and not to the right, tree views expand from right to left (and their arrows point to the left) etc.

Currently, we manually change the template of each and every control, not only to include the SilverlightRTL controls but also to change position and alignment of controls and containers, which is a very tedious job.

I was wondering if you are planning on supplying an RTL generic theme that will support RTL "look and feel", even without using the SilverlightRTL project (adding the controls where needed is usually easier than aligning the template).

As I see it, because it is a very tedious work and it's being done by every RTL programmer, if Telerik can supply a RTL template, and they'll be the first company to do so, there will be an even better reason why Right-To-Left projects will choose Telerik's suite over the competition (besides the fact that the controls are great).

Thanks in advance,
Ido Flatow,
Israel.
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 16 Apr 2009, 07:24 AM
Hi Ido,

We will surely consider implementing a RTL theme especially if there is a big demand for such a theme by our customers (users). We also believe that adding a RTL theme will contribute to all the users that face the same difficulties as the ones you described. The next major release (Q2) is coming this summer. We will keep you updated by posting info in this forum thread. We might even include the theme in some of the Latest Internal Builds. Unfortunately, we cannot promise that we will deliver this theme for sure as we have already started working on other major tasks that still require lots of development, UX and tests.

Kind regards,
Nick
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
waleed
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team
Ido
Top achievements
Rank 1