This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

PDF File size

5 Answers 291 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Michele
Top achievements
Rank 2
Michele asked on 11 Oct 2010, 05:38 PM
Hello,
I've got problem with the pdf size that telerik's report processor generates... I got files around 500kb each one (I've just set to subset the property in web.config) ... using tools like Acrobat  Distiller I got size about 130-150KB ... isn't possible to have a similar feature on the PDF generated by the report? I can't set to none the subsets since they must be processer by an online service that needs subsetted fonts

Thanks
Paolo

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 12 Oct 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi Paolo,

We're already making the pdf file as compact as possible. The only thing you can change to make it even smaller is disable the font embedding by setting the FontEmbedding setting to None.
What the "Reduce file size" function in Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat  Distiller does is
  • downsamples the images in the document.
  • uses SubSet font embedding. 
Since you're already using SubSet font embedding, the file size must be due to images. Currently Telerik Reporting does not perform any additional operations over the images and they appear in the document with the same resoluition (DPI) as the source images. However you have a point and offering an option to reduce the PDF size sounds feasible - we will add this to our features list. Until then a possible solution is to pre-process your images according to your needs before they enter the reporting engine.

Kind regards,
Steve
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Michele
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 12 Oct 2010, 05:16 PM
Preprocess you mean of dowsampling the image quality??
Thanks
Paolo
M
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 05:27 AM
Hi Paulo,

We were able to get our 1.5Mb PDFs down to around 42Kb by removing embedded fonts. Although we have no images, the result was a dramatically smaller pdf.  Give it a try.
Joe
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 07 Dec 2022, 05:18 AM

Would you mind explaining the procedure you used to remove the embedded fonts?  I am concatenating several hundred PDFs and my fonts are getting duplicated because of every page having embedded subset fonts.  How do I combine several PDFs and then still have them look correct without the fonts embedded?

Thanks!

Michele
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 08:01 AM
I can't remove embedded font since the pdf (around 18.000) we generate needs to be sent to a printing service that deliver the pdf to the clients...and the service wants the pdf to have the font embedded... I also tried to check the image we've got and it's about 29kb so not so much.......
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 15 Oct 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Paolo,

Thank you for the additional information. We would definitely need to research on this and offer an option to reduce the PDF size if Adobe do additional changes except the images downsampling. I've logged this in our features list for consideration and updated your Telerik points for bringing this to our attention.

Greetings,
Steve
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Michele
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Steve
Telerik team
Michele
Top achievements
Rank 2