This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadEditor for Silverlight

6 Answers 102 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
Ben Hayat asked on 10 Feb 2009, 01:44 PM
I just saw the news on the blog about the CTP being available for Q1 and wanted to ask a couple of questions, however the blog seems to be locked for comments and does not allow response, so I'll leave my questions here:

a) Would it be possible for developer/designer to have that editor with it's toolbar available within Blend? There are many times that we need to put static information on a page as a textblock which the text needs to have different colors inside or different size and so on. The editor is great for this, but we need to be able to use it during development time as well.

b) Suppose we were able to use the RadEditor at design time, then which component do we use to display the text to the user? The MS Textblock or a special component from Telerik to allow us display the text that has different fonts and colors?

c) When I display newly created text at runtime, I do not want to show the toolbar or anything from the RadEditor. I'd like it to be readonly just like you see on an html page.

d) Now, suppose I have another page where I want this RadEditor to be active for users to add/edit comments, what type of data field do we need to have in Database to store it? A blob type or long text type or what?

e) Would it be possible to create a small sample that shows using this control that creatss/reads/saves to dabase using Astoria.

..Ben

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
answered on 10 Feb 2009, 02:03 PM
Hello Ben,

Thanks for the feedback.

about a) and b) - We haven't thought of supporting inline editing in Blend. Thats a good suggestion.

Unfortunately we will not be able to support this feature at this time. But we could enable a plain textbox in Blend - we will think about that.

about c) - yes this is exactly how the editor will apear when in readonly mode.

d) - the internal represenation of the text in editor will be a String - presumably Html. So you are free to store the string whenever you like.

e) - this is a good suggestion - we will try to do the app for the release.

PS: I enabled the comments in the blog post. Thanks for notification.

Sincerely yours,
Valentin.Stoychev
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Feb 2009, 02:41 PM
Hi Valio;

Thanks for quick response, and I'd like to make a comment on A and B.

Whether we use Blend or something else, but the end result should be able to create Rich static text that many apps or site would require to display that information at design time. So, even if having support in Blend may not be in the time frame, but I think a sound solution should be in place for us to use this editor to create Rich StaticText at design time. Having this component available at runtime is great, but it only covers half of the picture and I think the team should also look at the design time as well.

Thanks!
..Ben
Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
answered on 10 Feb 2009, 02:46 PM
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the input.

I think we are talking about different controls here - but let me knowif I'm wrong. I think that you need an HTML viewer at design time? Am I correct in assuming that? Because thats another story and it is quite reasonable, but I think this is not part from the editor functionality. No?

Best wishes,
Valentin.Stoychev
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Feb 2009, 03:14 PM
Hi Valio;

>>I think that you need an HTML viewer<<

When you say "HTML Viewer", the word "viewer" would make sense at runtime to display a rich text which could be in the format of html. However, at some point of design time, we need to be able to create that html which I wouldn't categories as "viewer" (at design time). Perhaps, I'm mixing up two different applications over one control, but here how I would sepertate them:

a) First "solution" that a developer can create some form of Rich text at design time that is part of the application. This is a very popular method in today's html website (which the majority of people expect to see when looking at a website). Almost anyone I talk to, they want their site to have a look & feel of html site when it comes to text. This text needs to be created at design time, preferably in Blend time. And then become part of the site at runtime. We had talked about time before via email, are we talking about the same thing now?

b) The second "Solution" that I see, is to have a component that the end user can write their comments, be able to bold a section, change the colors and etc. and then save that to Database and then be able to retrive it. This text is not part of the overall site design, but it's a data that was created at runtime.

I think you're addressing b and I'm trying to see if the b solution can also be adjusted to use it for a solution.
Did I do better this time? :-)

Or maybe, it's better if you define what this controls IS and what it is NOT;
Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
answered on 10 Feb 2009, 03:33 PM
Hello Ben,

I see now what is your idea. We have some options implementing such functionality. The first thing that comes to my mind is with a custom editor in Blend for the HTML property of the editor.

This is definitely not in our plans for the moment. But I have to admit that the idea is good.

We are working towards making the editor act as an input control in your silverlight application, but not in design time. I hope this will not stop you from using it ;-)

Sincerely yours,
Valentin.Stoychev
the Telerik team

Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Feb 2009, 03:56 PM
>>The first thing that comes to my mind is with a custom editor in Blend for the HTML property of the editor.<<
Excellent! Going on the right direction...

>>This is definitely not in our plans for the moment. But I have to admit that the idea is good.<<
Ok, the beer is on you next time I see you! :-)

>>We are working towards making the editor act as an input control in your silverlight application, but not in design time. I hope this will not stop you from using it ;-)<<

As we have agreed, these are two separate application of use and I intend to use either one in it's own place. But I'm happy to see you guys are open to suggestions which helps to spark new ideas. Looking forward to new controls!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2