This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Wishlist

1 Answer 32 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alexey
Top achievements
Rank 2
Alexey asked on 15 Oct 2009, 08:39 AM
Hi,

I failed to find any wishlist topic or place where can I place my general thoughts about Telerik Silverlight Controls so I have decided to create this thread.

Here is some thoughts about what I think should be improved:

1. Telerik control dlls are rather big! Telerik.Windows.Control > 600 Kb GridView > 600 Kb etc. That means nothing for NET, but in the case of Silverlight becomes critical. Telerik default control templates is too rich, may be it is one of the reason of such big size?

2. Too complex control, too hard to customize. It is very hard to customize controls such as GridView or even a Calendar. Its default template are very complex. As standard GridView, Telerik RadGridView also becomes monstrous. Features like dynamic grouping is nice but unnecessary in most cases. May be u should create some alternative thin controls. For example instead of Grid you probably can create something like ASP.NET ListView, whic requires use to create templates for each part by hand. It is critical for interactive web applications, which always have unique design with dozens of specific animations.

Thanks,
Alexey Zakharov.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 15 Oct 2009, 09:39 AM
Hello Alexey,

As always thank you very much for your valuable feedback!

Optimizing our assemblies and our controls is actually ongoing task for every team here at Telerik and we are doing our best to provide smaller assemblies and lightweight controls when possible. We will continue with all these for sure however you can use the power of our products even now, without referencing undesired assemblies.

I've made for you small example using our Telerik.Windows.Data assembly and plain ItemsControl to illustrate you how to create simple data grid control with sorting support. Of course this can be extended with grouping, filtering, currency, editing, hierarchy and many more which will give even more power than ASP.NET ListView.

Please check the attached project and let me know what you think.

Sincerely yours,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Alexey
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Vlad
Telerik team
Share this question
or