Thank you for your interesting question.
The two platforms are completely different in both architecture and implementation. I can summarize the top benefits of each platform as I see them but it is up to you to evaluate and estimate which one will suite your needs completely.
- Being a wrapper around the native Win32 Window Handle semantic, its major benefit is performance and memory consumption.
- Small learning curve - one can get familiar with Winforms best practices in a relatively small amount of time.
- Tons of existing applications, blogs, books, communities, etc.
- Extremely well designed object model and class hierarchies, highly flexible and extensible. This however comes at the cost of a larger learning curve.
- Pixel-perfect rendering, based on Direct 3D; hardware accelerated, when possible.
- Very high level of data binding support.
In our Winforms suite we have created a framework, named TPF (Telerik Presentation Framework), inspired by WPF, which enables all the controls with features similar to the ones found WPF.
Such features are:
- Element Tree - each control is described by a tree of logical units that define its visual appearance
- Native support for themes (styles) and animations
- Advanced layout, executed asynchronously on the UI thread, allowing for unmatched performance
So, put simply, Telerik Winforms package is kind of hybrid between classic Windows Forms controls, and powerful abstract logical layer (TPF), inspired by WPF. More information can be found on this page
Again, I cannot tell which would be the right choice for your application. You can consider things such as what end-user platform will be targeted? Will the application run on Desktop machines only or it should be available for the web also? Is performance top prerequisite or you can sacrifice some for the sake of pixel perfectness and native 3D support?
I hope you will find this information useful.
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans?
Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed?
Telerik Public Issue Tracking
system and vote to affect the priority of the items