This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Weird GroupPicker bug affecting Application bar since upgrading to 2012.2.629.2040

5 Answers 41 Views
JumpList
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Glenn
Top achievements
Rank 1
Glenn asked on 09 Jul 2012, 03:19 AM
Hi Telerik,

I think I've found a bug with the RadJumpList GroupPicker control? I spent about 2 hours thinking it was something I'd done in my code, only to remember that I'd recently upgraded from 2012.2.607.2040 (trial) to 2012.2.629.2040 (trial). I reverted back to 607, and my error was gone. Upgraded back to 629, and the error was back.

I have some very simple demo projects built against both trial builds that show the error in the latest RadControls for Windows Phone build, and not in the previous build.

I'll try my best to explain the error. If you have an app with say Page1, and Page2. Page 1 has an ApplicationBar with a single button on it, labelled Page1Button.

Page1Button navigates to Page2. Page 2 has a RadJumpList on it, with the GroupPicker enabled, and also, itself has an application bar with 3 buttons on it, with all three labelled Page2Button.

Steps to show error

1. Start the app that was built against 2012.2.607.2040

2. Navigate from Page 1 to Page 2 by pressing the app bar button on page 1

3. Page 2 is shown containing the RadJumpList, and the app bar containing the 3 buttons

4. Immediately press the back button, to navigate back to page 1

5. The user is shown page 1, with the app bar and the single button.

no problem so far...but

1. Start the app that was built against 2012.2.629.2040

2. Navigate from page 1 to page 2, by pressing the app bar button on page 1.

3. Page 2 is shown containing the RadJumpList, and the app bar containing the 3 buttons

4. Press a Group Header, to bring up the RadJumpLists's group picker.

5. You can either just press back to not pick a group, or pic a group, doesn't matter either way

6. The group picker closes

7. Press back

8. Now you will see the error. The application bar on Page 1, is showing the application bar from page 2!!

If you build the code against 607, there is no error, but built against 629 the application bar error occurs after the group picker has been displayed!

Please can you confirm you can replicate this error, and also please fix ASAP, as I want to purchase the Telerik RadControls for WindowsPhone as I have an app that I want to submit to the marketplace in a couple of weeks time.

I have two demo projects that I can send if you need me to. Where would I send them to as I can only attach images to this message?

Regards,

Glenn

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Victor
Telerik team
answered on 09 Jul 2012, 06:47 AM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for writing.
You have stumbled on a known issue and it has been fixed. Please download the latest internal build from your account on the Telerik website.
If you have more feedback about our controls, please do write again :).

Regards,
Victor
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Glenn
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jul 2012, 04:44 AM
Hi Telerik,

The latest internal build does indeed fix the problem I mentioned earlier in this thread. However, I have now gone ahead and upgraded my trial of RadControls for Windows Phone, and am now using the latest internal dev build 2012.2.712.2040.

Unfortunately whilst the below issue is resolved, I have found another issue. In 2012.2.607, and also 2012.2.629 when you bring up the GroupPicker by tapping on a Group Header in the RadJumpList, the group picker would be displayed, and the entire background of the screen would be made darker, and with some opacity. On top of this were overlayed the individual group picker items.

In 2012.2.712 the group picker is displayed, but the background doesn't darken at all, no transparency etc,,,

Also whilst talking about 2012.2.712, and I know this is the section for the RadJumpList, but the behaviour of the RadHubTile's has changed in 2012.2.712. I had my tiles looking nice. Upgraded to 2012.2.712, and the back of my tiles looked terrible, becuase the default font sizes for the back of the tiles has changed!!? I've worked around it by explicity setting the font size to {StaticResource PhoneFontSizeMedium}

Please make the GroupPicker darken the background again, like it used to :-)

Thanks,

Glenn
Victor
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jul 2012, 07:52 AM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for writing.
Can you please send a sample application that reproduces the issue with the JumpList? I tested it in our examples application and the background seems to darken as expected.

Also thanks for pointing out the issue with the hub-tile's back content. We modified the hub tile to have its Count field bound to the FontSize property of the control so that you don't have to change the whole control template if you only want to tweak the font settings of this field.
We'll upload a fix for that later today.
I have updated your telerik points for this bug report.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Victor
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Glenn
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2012, 02:20 AM
Hi Victor / Telerik,

Ok, I've been investigating this for some hours now, trying to recreate the issue in a simple demo project. For a while I couldn't recreate the issue, but there was a definite change in behaviour in my main app between 2012.2.607.2040 and 2012.2.629.2040, which I could easily recreate every time.

Anyhow, as I said, I've been investigating for some hours, and have actually figured out how to recreate the problem now. I have attached four screen shots for you to look at. Two show build 607 before selecting the group header, and also after. The other two pictures show the same, but for build 629

The behaviour when the RadJumpList GroupPicker is shown has changed between the above mentioned releases. The key to seeing the problem, and probably why you didn't see it, is you have to use the RadPhoneApplicationFrame in App.xaml.cs, instead of the standard PhoneApplicationFrame.

Create a demo app, that has a bitmap background as the background of the LayoutRoot grid. Use a RadPhoneApplicationFrame in App.xaml.cs instead of the standard PhoneApplicationFrame. On the first page, create a RadJumpList with the GroupPicker enabled, and then when running the app, tap on a GroupHeader to show the GroupPicker. You'll see a change in behaviour betwee the 607 and 629 builds.

In 607 build, the RadJumpList's opacity changes from 1 to some other value, but the entire background also darkens, or changes opacity. In build 629, the RadJumpList still changes it's opacity when the GroupPicker is shown, but the entire background doesn't darken / change opacity.

For me this is a breaking change in the UI, and I really would like to keep the original behaviour.

If you do have trouble recreating the issue by following the above, then please let me know, as I have a simple project I can send you that when switched between the two different builds of the RadControls for Windows Phone shows the behaviour difference.

Many Regards,

Glenn
Victor
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jul 2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for reporting this.
This change has occurred because of a bug fix reported by another user. It appears that this bug fix triggered a different issue that has been dormant probably since the creation of RadJumpList. We are talking about ancient evils here :).
This will be fixed in the next release (Q2 2012 SP2).

Please write again if you have more feedback to share.
Your Telerik points have been reported for the bug report. 

Kind regards,
Victor
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Tags
JumpList
Asked by
Glenn
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Victor
Telerik team
Glenn
Top achievements
Rank 1