This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2008 support for SL 3.0

3 Answers 85 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
javier asked on 28 Oct 2010, 08:23 PM
I tried to create a Visual Studio 2008 FW 3.5 application with the RadControls_for_Silverlight_4_2010_2_0924_DEV.msi and I got this error: "Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive."
My question is: does SL 4 2010 controls only support Visual Studio 2010 with FW 4?
So, VS2008 FW 3.5 is only compatible with RadControls_for_Silverlight_2009_3_1103_DEV.msi
Please confirm or clarify me that pls.

Thank you,

Javier Andres Caceres Alvis

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 29 Oct 2010, 08:59 AM
Hi javier,

Normally, the assemblies for SL4 should work in Silverlight 3 in most cases.

Let us know more about your scenario where the exception is thrown.

All the best,
Veselin Vasilev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Oct 2010, 03:26 PM
I have Visual Studio 2008 and Framework 3.5.
I installed Radcontrols SL 4 2010 and I could not create new projects in VS2008 because the Telerik SL templates does not apper.
The installer forced me to install VS 2010 Web Developer Express and inside it I was able to create new Telerik SL projects.
In conclusion, I was not able to create Telerik projects using VS2008 and I had to use VS 2010 Web Developer Express.
As I don't want to use VS 2010 Express, I uninstalled it and when I tried to run the samples the exception was thrown.
I habe been wasting my time uninstalling and installing requirements and those are my findings:
-Telerik radcontrols SL 4 2010 templates APPEARS only in VS 2010.
-Telerik radcontrols samples USE the development server of the Express version.
-Telerik radcontrols SL 4 2010 NEED the Framework 4.

In conclusion I tried many times and VS2008 + Radcontrols SL 4 2010 did not work togheter.
Excuse me but I've spent 3 days in this and it's a pain in the neck.
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 29 Oct 2010, 03:42 PM
Hi javier,

I apologize, I misled you.

Although, you can create a new silverlight project (without using the telerik templates) and manually add telerik controls to the xaml, the controls could appear without errors, but most of the functionality will not work.
For example, I have created a new SL 3 project, added references to the SL4 Telerik assemblies and bound a gridview. The page shows fine, the gridview is rendered fine, but its main functionality like Filtering, grouping, sorting do not work.

So, the bottom line is that you do need VS 2010 (even the free Express edition) and Silverilght 4 to run the RadControls for Silverlight 4.

Greetings,
Veselin Vasilev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
javier
Top achievements
Rank 1