This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS.NET 2015 Woes

6 Answers 84 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Christopher
Top achievements
Rank 1
Christopher asked on 03 Nov 2015, 08:58 PM

I have recently upgraded to VS.NET 2015 Pro.  I have had so many problems with JustCode.  At first, I thought it was the learning curve of how it operates with the Roslyn compiler, but even now that I figure all that out, there are so many things that just don't work:

1) In C#, I can't get code templates to work at all.  I can make it work in other languages like JavaScript, but typing one of the Acronyms in C# and pressing "Shift-Space" as per the settings does nothing.

2) Sometimes it seems to ignore my Shared Solutions settings, specifically with regards to C# Code Analysis problems.  For example, even though I have "The Used Literal Argument Is Not Named" set to Disable, once in a while JustCode will not honor that and generate about 18,000 warnings.  If I click on the warnings and open the code files, they start the disappear.  If I close and open VS.Net they will usually go away.

3) When working with .ASPX files (when the file is open) I get very strange naming convention warnings.  For example:  Warning JustCode_NamingConventions: Name '@__DataBind__control14' does not match the naming convention.  When I click on that, it just takes me to a random location in the file.

Maybe it is just me, but with a lot of features now built into VS.NET, I feel like I have to disable JustCode or uninstall it. I would like to continue using the Code Templates as there are many more than the default code snippets in Visual Studio, and I really like the naming convention checks, but it really doesn't feel ready for production use.  It just seems like random things work, don't work, work when you don't want them too, etc.

-Chris

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Thilo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 06 Nov 2015, 10:52 AM

Hello Christopher,

i feel and agree with you.

i have deinstalled Just Code for Visual Studio 2015 and now learn and work with the native VS2015 Keyboard Shortcuts and have also the Productivity Power Tools installed.

-Thilo

Svetlozar
Telerik team
answered on 06 Nov 2015, 03:33 PM
Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it!

Let me address the points you've made.

1. Code Templates have low priority on our list, I am really sorry about that. The user demand has never been high and over the years other free extensions improved that area, so we  decided to continue with other areas where we believe we can deliver greater value with the budget we have. 

2. Our warnings are Roslyn extensions now and we haven't found a clean way to notify Roslyn that we need it to refresh our analyzers when the configuration has changed. As you correctly observed when you close and open a file they get refreshed.  

3. This is again caused by the fact that our analyzers are now Roslyn extensions. Aspx files have projection buffers that contain C# code for the view and Roslyn treats them as C# files running our analyzers on these projection buffers. This is on our part that we haven't added checks in our analyzers for such cases. 

I am really sorry for the inconvenience! We release internal builds quite often having Visual Studio 2015 our top priority, so please, stay tuned for our future builds. 

If you have other feedback, please don't hesitate to write back!

Regards,
Svetlozar
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jan 2016, 09:29 PM
It's unfortunate you can't disable all the Telerik warnings.  I assume you guys don't like squiggly lines while reading your code either, right? How distracting that is, had to uninstall JustCode, to intrusive.  
Nikolay Valchev
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jan 2016, 12:21 PM
Hello Ryan,

You have several options for disabling JustCode's diagnostics.
1 . If you would like to disable all errors and warnings for a language open JustCode | Options | Code Analysis | General and then remove the tick in front of the language for which you want diagnostics disabled. Unfortunately there is a bug in JustCode for Visual Studio 2015 and 'C#' / 'VB.NET' options do not work. As a workaround you can exclude all language files (C# files for instance) through the 'Exclude file filters:' setting (located on the same page) for instance in the case of C# you would append '*.cs'.

2. Alternative if you would like to disable the diagnostics for all kind of languages, you could just place '*' in the 'Exclude file filters'. For more information about file filters and how to used them you can look here

3. If you would like to disable only a particular warning open JustCode | Options | Code Analysis | Problems | <targeted language> then find the problem and mark it as not a problem by clicking on the tick.

Best Regards,
Nikolay Valchev
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Feb 2016, 03:33 PM

Unfortunately this does not work and JustCode keeps erroring out on analyzing a Kendo file of all things!  Jeez I just want to use the tool for some small refactorings and such, I don't need some overly complex tool to do a bunch of over analysis, especially on files/code we did not write.

INFO 2016-02-01 10:05:21.880 : Server (11120): Error analyzing 'C:\Projects\acme\Releases\Tip\acme\acme\acme.Home\Scripts\kendo.dataviz.min.js' in 'C:\Projects\acme\Releases\Tip\acme\acme\acme.Home\acme.Home.csproj'
ERROR 2016-02-01 10:05:26.173 : Server (11120):  [Used memory before gc: 2189363144, used memory after gc: 2188605296]
System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

INFO 2016-02-01 10:05:31.809 : Server (11120): Error analyzing 'C:\Projects\...\Scripts\kendo.dataviz.min.js' in 'C:\Projects\acme\Releases\Tip\acme\acme\acme.Home\acme.Home.csproj'
ERROR 2016-02-01 10:05:31.813 : Server (11120):  [HResult: 80070057] 
System.ArgumentException: node must not be Node.None in {0} in 'C:\Projects\...\Scripts\kendo.dataviz.min.js' in 'C:\Projects\acme\Releases\Tip\acme\acme\acme.Home\acme.Home.csproj'
Parameter name: node

Svetlozar
Telerik team
answered on 04 Feb 2016, 01:15 PM
Hello,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience!

We are aware of that problem and we are working on reducing the memory hit during signature analysis. 

Regards,
Svetlozar
Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Christopher
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Thilo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Svetlozar