This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2012 RC on Windows 8 Release Preview

3 Answers 87 Views
Integration with other products
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Raoul
Top achievements
Rank 1
Raoul asked on 15 Jun 2012, 11:20 PM
I installed vs2012 RC on a (vmware-)Win8 machine to start playing around with Metro Style Apps.

I installed the latest OA version: Telerik_OpenAccess_ORM_2012_2_607_dev.msi

I got stuck on an error about a reference to mcorlib:

Error 33 Unable to resolve class 'System.Void' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'. Is this a Silverlight project?. C:\Users\dev\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\metroHis\metroHisData\obj\Debug\metroHisData.dll

I'm guessing it has something to do with either Telerik.OpenAccess or Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions in relation to Win8.

I'm adding the OpenAccess model to a Class Library (Metro Style). It doesn't seem possible to add a "classic" Class Library to a metro style app.... language of choice: vb

I know, RC, Release Preview... It's just for playing around to get prepared for when the stable versions arrive :)

If there's a quickfix/hotfix it would be nice though...

Regards,

Raoul

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jun 2012, 03:04 PM
Hello Raoul,

Unfortunately OpenAccess would not work in a Metro Style App, as this is a completely new environment and the OpenAccess runtime depends tightly on the framework provided by the Desktop Mode applications. I am afraid that currently we do not have plans to work in this area and provide such support.

Greetings,
Alexander
the Telerik team
OpenAccess ORM Q2'12 Now Available! Get your hands on all the new stuff.
Raoul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jun 2012, 07:25 PM
Alexander,

Thanks for your reply.
It's unfortunate Telerik has no plans (yet?) to support metro style apps. It does seem Microsoft is heading in that direction.

Regards,
Raoul
Ivailo
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jun 2012, 07:59 PM
Hello Raoul,

From our current perspective, the proper placement of Telerik OpenAccess ORM is as a server side technology. However, that doesn't mean that the product should not be used for Windows 8 scenarios. You can still provide data to your client tiers using various kinds of web services. We have invested some efforts in automated service generation, to the extent that the new Add OpenAccess Service wizard can create and entire Data Transfer Objects layer for you in a few clicks, which is then fully extendable to match your needs.

In other words, it is just a matter of system architecture. Of course, our current point of view is subject to change in the future depending on your scenarios, so do not hesitate to provide your feedback.

Regards,
Ivailo
the Telerik team
OpenAccess ORM Q2'12 Now Available! Get your hands on all the new stuff.
Tags
Integration with other products
Asked by
Raoul
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alexander
Telerik team
Raoul
Top achievements
Rank 1