This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2008 SP1 & Silverlight 3 Controls Installation

4 Answers 168 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mark asked on 29 Sep 2010, 04:39 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to install the Telerik Silverlight 3 controls for use in Visual Studio 2008.   I've downloaded the zip file named RadControls_for_Silverlight_3_2010_2_0924_TRIAL_hotfix.zip which I got by downloading the Silverlight 3 DLLs Only link from the Telerik support website:  http://www.telerik.com/account/free-trials/trial-product-versions/single-trial.aspx?pmvid=0&pid=571 

So far I have not been able to add the controls to Visual Studio 2008 SP1.   I have installed on my machine the following:

Microsoft Silverlight 3
Microsoft Silverlight 3 SDK
Microsoft Silverlight 3 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 - ENU
Microsoft Silverlight 3 Toolkit November 2009

Can you help me with specific instructions please?  I've tried following the documentation in the support section here:
http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/introduction.html however so far I find myself going around in circles trying to follow these instructions.   If someone can provide specific instructions on how to get the Telerik Silverlight controls to be used in VS2008 with SL3 that would be great!  We want to evaluate the controls for possible use in our corporation. Thanks!

Mark

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 30 Sep 2010, 07:57 AM
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your interest in RadControls for Silverlight. I will be glad to help you with any questions that you might have regarding our controls.

You might find this article very helpful - it demonstrates how our controls can be added to the Visual Studio 2008 toolbox. Unfortunately we are slowly dropping Silverlight 3 in favor of Silverlight 4 which introduces many improvements over the previous version. For some time now we are only including critical bug fixes into our Silverlight 3 builds while new features and minor improvements are part of our Silverlight 4 builds only. Having this in mind I would recommend you to use Silverlight 4 if possible.

Do not hesitate to write if you need more help.

Sincerely yours,
Milan
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
dhuss
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Oct 2010, 05:10 PM
What version of your Silverlight product do I need to work with VS2008. I would like the full install so I can see the demos and code. I went to my download section - silverlight - download also and all I can see is Silverlight 3 - DLLs only. Under "Other Versions" which version do I select. I know SL4 has more to offer, but there are a large number of developers that still use VS2008 and it is sad to see you are only going to support the 2010 platform for your SilverLight product. Not all of us are ready or are allowed to move to the 2010 platform. Does Telerik have any other of the developer tools in the Premium .net collection that are going to be "2010" only?
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 27 Oct 2010, 01:55 PM
Hi dhuss,

You can try the installation for Silverlight 3 from our Q1 2010 official release.You can find it here. Also you can take a look at our Silverlight 3 online demos here.

Besides RadControls for Silverlight 4, RadControls for WPF 4.0 can be used only in Visual Studio 2010.

Here at Telerik we understand the difficulties when some developers should move from VS 2008 to VS 2010. That is why, we did our best to keep Silverlight 3 support from more than six months after the official release of Silverlight 4. I should say that this is pushing our developers and infrastructure to their limits and other aspects of our business are already suffering. This is the main reason for discontinuing any support for RadControls for Silverlight 3 with our Q3 2010 release.

Regards,
Hristo
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
dhuss
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Oct 2010, 05:18 PM
Thank you for providing the link. I do understand about having the resources to support older versions of MS software
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Milan
Telerik team
dhuss
Top achievements
Rank 1