This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgrade app from VS2005 to VS2010

3 Answers 54 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Jane
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jane asked on 10 Sep 2014, 05:09 AM
Dear Support,

We have a web app developed in VS2005 and used Rad Controls by registering assembly of rad control dlls. 
The Rad Control's version is in Q1_2006 NET2 and name space is still Telerik.WebControls.
If we upgrade app to VS2010, what typical issue can you foresee? Will the controls still work? Do we HAVE TO switch to the new Ajax thing?
The rad controls are used heavily on through the app, so the least change of code is preferable without breaking the whole app.

thanks,
Jane

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 11 Sep 2014, 06:19 AM

Hi Jane,

The version of the controls you have is extremely old and is part of the RadControls for ASP.NET "Classic" era. This suite has been deprecated and has not been supported for over 5 years, i.e., before the advent of VS2010 or any of the modern browsers (It does not support IE8 or above, Chrome, Firefox). Thus, we cannot guarantee it will work with VS2010 (although there shouldn't be issues, it is supposed to be backwards compatible) or with any of the current browsers in use.

You do not have to switch to the current UI for ASP.NET AJAX suite, but I would advise that you do so, because you will get:

• support for the current browsers and VS versions
  • probably about 50 more controls than your current version
  • a myriad of other features

Such an upgrade will be a heavy task, because there have been a lot of changes, however. There are help articles in the old controls' documentation that can help you with migration, like this one or this one (and other controls have them in a similar place). The online demos and documentation can also help you with implementing the features with the current version of the controls.

Regards,

Marin Bratanov
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Jane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Sep 2014, 01:40 AM
Marin, thanks for the detailed answer, it does help.
The app used around 20 individual RadControls and almost on every page.
So if I use the new UI for ASP.NET AJAX, I feel I will almost re-write the whole app, right?
There is indeed lots of changes, like the code use RadCallback.Net2.dll on almost every control, but seems not in new version anymore(I could not find it on the list of controls), can you confirm on this?
The control is still working on IE8, now I just hope the old RadControls can still be compilable and working in VS2010.

thanks, Jane
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 12 Sep 2014, 11:44 AM

Hi Jane,

How much would need to be rewritten greatly depends on the features and properties you use. What I can suggest is downloading a trial and trying to migrate an average page to see how much effort this will cost you. The trial will also provide you with access to the technical support in case you are wondering how something can be implemented with the current version and you cannot find the answer yourself.

For callbacks, I can suggest the following:

I hope this helps you evaluate whether migration will be the better solution for you.

Regards,

Marin Bratanov
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jane
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
Jane
Top achievements
Rank 1