This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Undocumented Changes in Q1 2014 release

7 Answers 58 Views
PanelBar
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Tayllor
Top achievements
Rank 2
Tayllor asked on 27 Feb 2014, 10:25 PM
I updated my DLL's and I'm seeing some changes that were not documented.

My panel bar which appears in the xaml as 
<UserControl x:Class="Controls.FormTabs"
    xmlns:telerikNavigation="clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation">
    <Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="White">
        <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBar x:Name="rpbMain">
        </telerikNavigation:RadPanelBar>
    </Grid>
</UserControl>

After updating the xaml, there is a border, so I set the borderthickness to 0 now and that works.  However, the Item headers are getting clipped now and don't have a border, and no corner radius.  

What else should I change?

-Tayllor

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 04 Mar 2014, 05:06 PM
Hello Tayllor,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on your scenario with RadPanelBar. I created a sample solution utilizing the component but I was not able to reproduce the issue you described. If you can update the solution accordingly and share a list of steps that we can follow to see the issue, we will gladly take a closer look at it and help you implement your requirements.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

DevCraft Q1'14 is here! Join the free online conference to see how this release solves your top-5 .NET challenges. Reserve your seat now!

Tayllor
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Mar 2014, 07:21 PM
Hi Tina,

The problems I'm seeing are demonstrated by setting a margin on the grid.

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="White" Margin="10">

You then see the panel surrounded by a border (that was not there before).   

I then tried to get rid of the border on the grid by changing the radpanelpar to the following....

<telerikNavigation:RadPanelBar x:Name="rpbMain" BorderThickness="0">

This gives me what I am seeing now in the header items.

-Tayllor

Here's the entire MainPage.xaml...
<UserControl x:Class="SilverlightApplication1.MainPage"
             xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
             xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
             xmlns:telerikNavigation="http://schemas.telerik.com/2008/xaml/presentation"
             d:DesignHeight="300"
             d:DesignWidth="400"
             mc:Ignorable="d">

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="White" Margin="10">
        <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBar x:Name="rpbMain" BorderThickness="0">
            <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Item 1">
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 1.1" />
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 1.2" />
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 1.3" />
            </telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem>
            <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Item 2">
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 2.1" />
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 2.2" />
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 2.3" />
            <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Item 3">
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 3.1" />
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 3.2" />
                <telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarItem Header="Child 3.3" />
        </telerikNavigation:RadPanelBar>
    </Grid>
</UserControl>
Tayllor
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Mar 2014, 07:46 PM
I have attached screenshots of what I am seeing.  Capture_old is how our panelbar has looked the last 2 years with no changes.   After updating to the new release, the Capture_new, is what I see.  There is a border on the sub-items (pardon my crude markings with the snipping tool).  I also included Capture_new_noborder, which removes the border on the sub-items.   

However, both new images show the header items no longer have a border on the left and right sides.
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 07 Mar 2014, 07:20 PM
Hi Teyllor,

Thank you for elaborating on your scenario - I can now see what you mean. You're right that we slightly changed the style of the RadPanelBar and its items. We defined a default BorderBrush and BorderThickness on the PanelBar and we also slightly modified the default Margins of its items.

I modified the solution and included custom styles where I reverted those changes. Can you please take a look at the solution and let me know if this updated style represents the state of the component you'd like to use in your application? Also, I noticed that in the snapshots you attached the RadPanelBar is styled and is not using its default theme. If you're using one of our built-in themes, can you please tell us which one? This way I will be able to provide you with an updated version of the styles for that theme.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

DevCraft Q1'14 is here! Watch the online conference to see how this release solves your top-5 .NET challenges. Watch on demand now.

Tayllor
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Mar 2014, 07:49 PM
Hi Tina,

I am not seeing a link for the updated project.  Can you repost please?

As for the theme, the screenshots were taken using the Vista Theme (Telerik.Windows.Themes.Vista.dll).

Thank you,
-Tayllor
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 11 Mar 2014, 06:07 PM
Hi Tayllor,

Thank you for getting back to us. The changes you noticed are coming both from the new default BorderBrush in the Vista theme and the latest version of the RadPanelBarItem ControlTemplate. This is hwy in order to go back to the previous style of the PanelBar and its items, you will have to define a Transparent BorderBrush in the RadPanelBar definition and you will also have to edit the default ControlTemplate of the first-level items in the panel.

At the moment the ControlTemplate of all top level items within the RadPanelBar contains borders describing each state of the items. These borders have a Margin property which you will have to remove. I attached a sample solution where I customized the ControlTemplate of the RadPanelBarItems. Please note that I used the Vista theme styles so that you can integrate the style within your project. I also used the implicit styling approach described in the Setting a Theme (Using Implicit Styles) tutorial. You can examine the benefits of this approach in the Implicit Styles versus StyleManager blog post.

Please take a look at the solution and let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

DevCraft Q1'14 is here! Watch the online conference to see how this release solves your top-5 .NET challenges. Watch on demand now.

Tayllor
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 12 Mar 2014, 11:32 PM
Thank you Tina, the changes worked for me.
Tags
PanelBar
Asked by
Tayllor
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
Tayllor
Top achievements
Rank 2