This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Telerik.JustMock.Core.ElevatedMockingException on Visual Studio 2019 with .NET Core 3.1.0

7 Answers 737 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Platform
Top achievements
Rank 1
Platform asked on 17 Jan 2020, 12:13 AM

Hello,

We're encountering the following type of error on our build servers:

X SendFile_GivenValidInformation_ShouldReturnSuccessResult [1ms]
  Error Message:
   Initialization method InsuranceApiLibrary.Syncronizers.<<redacted>>Tests.Setup threw exception. Telerik.JustMock.Core.ElevatedMockingException: Cannot mock '<<redacted>>SoapClient'. The profiler must be enabled to mock, arrange or execute the specified target.
Detected active third-party profilers:
* C:\Users\<<redacted-tfs-agent-service>>\.nuget\packages\microsoft.codecoverage\16.4.0\build\netstandard1.0\CodeCoverage\amd64\covrun64.dll (from process environment)
Disable the profilers or link them from the JustMock configuration utility. Restart the test runner and, if necessary, Visual Studio after linking..
  Stack Trace:
      at Telerik.JustMock.Core.ProfilerInterceptor.ThrowElevatedMockingException(MemberInfo member)
   at Telerik.JustMock.Core.MocksRepository.Create(Type type, MockCreationSettings settings)
   at Telerik.JustMock.Mock.<>c__DisplayClass47_0`1.<Create>b__0()
   at Telerik.JustMock.Core.ProfilerInterceptor.GuardInternal[T](Func`1 guardedAction)
   at Telerik.JustMock.Mock.Create[T](Object[] args)
   at InsuranceApiLibrary.Syncronizers.<<redacted>>Tests.Setup() in E:\AzDOS\Agents\Alpha\_work\8\s\<<redacted>>\<<redacted>>Test\Syncronizers\<<redacted>>Tests.cs:line 27

When we exclude code coverage, we get very similar errors, but without the lines about detected third-party active profilers.  I have directly verified that the JM profiler settings are correct (see attached images).

Our build servers have Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 16.4.2, .NET Core SDK 3.1.100, and JustMock 2020.1.113.1 installed.  The C# projects in question target .NET Core 3.1.  The path to the JM DLL being referenced by those projects is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Progress\Telerik JustMock\Libraries\netcoreapp2.0\Telerik.JustMock.dll".  I can find no obvious alternative path or DLL for .NET Core 3.x, so I assume that DLL applies to multiple .NET Core major versions.

This problem is blocking new initiatives.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Regards,
Tom Slavens
Platform Configuration Architect, Software Services
Veterans United Home Loans

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jan 2020, 04:09 PM

Hello Tom,

I have managed to reproduce a similar behavior on the command line. I will need some additional time to take a deeper look at the issue and will come back to you with my findings in a day or two.

Regards,
Ivo
Progress Telerik

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jan 2020, 10:13 AM

Hello Tom,

I forgot to ask you which version of TFS version you are using. Also, it would be great to share more details about the task configuration. We have discovered some issues in the integration with Microsoft Code Coverage when it is used as NuGet package and we need to investigate them further.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Ivo
Progress Telerik

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Platform
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jan 2020, 05:31 PM

Ivo,

We're using on-prem Azure DevOps Server 2019u1 with on-prem agents v2.153.1 on Win2016 VMs.

The task which spurs the errors is the built-in "dotnet" task using the "test" command and these additional arguments:

--configuration $(BuildConfiguration) --no-restore  --no-build --collect "Code coverage"

The restore and build occur (successfully) in preceding task steps in the build definition, the standard NuGet task and the standard MSBuild task, respectively.

The .csproj file in question has these references:

<p>  <ItemGroup><br>    <PackageReference Include="Microsoft.NET.Test.Sdk" Version="16.4.0" /><br>    <PackageReference Include="MSTest.TestAdapter" Version="2.0.0" /><br>    <PackageReference Include="MSTest.TestFramework" Version="2.0.0" /><br>    <PackageReference Include="System.Security.Permissions" Version="4.7.0" /><br>    <PackageReference Include="__redacted__internal__package__" Version="0.0.0" /><br>  </ItemGroup><br></p>

The AzDOS agent VMs were upgraded to .NET Core 3.1.1 this morning due to the recently announced  CVEs in 3.1.0, and I have just verified that the errors still occur as originally described.

Regards,
Tom Slavens

Accepted
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jan 2020, 03:52 PM

Hello Tom,

Thank you for the provided info, it helps us a lot during the investigation. Here are our findings so far, I split them into two categories, it seems there is more than one issue:

Run tests without coverage 

Most probably the issue was caused by the missing environment variables required of JustMock profiler, more details can be found in this documentation article. To solve this issue, just add the following variables to the build definition:

JUSTMOCK_INSTANCE=1
CORECLR_ENABLE_PROFILING=1
CORECLR_PROFILER={B7ABE522-A68F-44F2-925B-81E7488E9EC0}
COR_ENABLE_PROFILING=1
COR_PROFILER={B7ABE522-A68F-44F2-925B-81E7488E9EC0}

Run tests with coverage using DataCollector

This case is much complicated and it is hard to be explained in detail without referring VSTest internals. Briefly, the root cause of the issue is that JustMock configuration gets inapplicable if the code coverage is enabled via data collection outside Visual Studio, a special .runsettings is applied in this case instead. JustMock R1.2020 release delivers integration with Code Coverage for .NET Core inside Visual Studio, but some additional code changes are needed in order to have this functionality running standalone on the command line (or dotnet build task). We are going to release these changes in a service pack shortly, but until then I can provide you a custom build for testing purposes, let me know if you are interested in this option.

I hope the provided information helps. I will be glad to assist you further.

Regards,
Ivo
Progress Telerik

Platform
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jan 2020, 10:16 PM

Ivo,

Thanks for the rapid turnaround on this issue!

I was unaware of the two CORECLR_* environment variables.  Adding those two vars allowed the "dotnet Test" task to succeed without code coverage.  I will test again late tomorrow or Friday after the AzDOS agent VMs are updated with the latest VS 2019 (due to the recent CVEs), but I expect no further problems there.

Regarding code coverage and a custom build of JustMock:  While I am willing to run it for QA purposes if you think that would help your team, for our production use, we will wait for a proper release which includes the fix, and until then we will forego code coverage in our handful of .NET Core 3.1 projects.

Thanks again for your outstanding responsiveness!

Regards,
Tom Slavens

Platform
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jan 2020, 10:39 PM

Ivo,

I just looked at the article you had linked, but it has not yet been updated to include those two CORECLR_* environment variables.  Thought you should know.

Regards,
Tom Slavens

Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jan 2020, 08:28 AM

Hello Tom,

I am glad to hear that the provided solution works for you. Regrading documentation, I completely agree with you that our documentation is a bit outdated on this topic and requires improvement.

About the custom build, our intention was to address the potential emergency in the code coverage issue on your side and to receive some early feedback on the code changes we are going to introduce, so I am leaving the decision up to you.

It was pleasure for me to assist you. Wish you a great day.

Regards,
Ivo
Progress Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Platform
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Ivo
Telerik team
Platform
Top achievements
Rank 1