This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Telerik Breaks VS2015 IDE

6 Answers 48 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
WH
Top achievements
Rank 1
WH asked on 12 Apr 2017, 12:37 PM
After installing Telerik products I notice that the very useful "Quick-action" context menu is removed from the IDE.  Is there any way to get this back, or by using Telerik do I have to use a crippled Visual Studio?

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
iliev
Telerik team
answered on 17 Apr 2017, 06:05 AM
Hello,

I tried reproducing the issue in my Visual Studio environment but I was not able to break the "Quick Actions and Refactorings" feature by installing the Telerik AppBuilder extension.
Could you please give us more information regarding the issue? The specific details we need are:
  • Are you experiencing the issue only in Telerik AppBuilder projects or in every C#/C++/Visual Basic project?
  • What type of language are you trying to use the "Quick Actions and Refactorings" menu with? (for example javascript, typescript, C#)
  • Does the "Quick Actions and Refactorings" menu reappear after you disable the installed Telerik AppBuilder extension?

Regards,

iliev
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
WH
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Apr 2017, 11:39 AM

Every project I have opened, the "Quick Actions" menu option is missing from.  This includes a test project I created to test out Telerik, but also on MVC and Webforms applications.  I haven't tried Visual Basic, I haven't worked in VB in years, these are all C#/asp.net apps.

I have an MSDN subscription, so I downloaded VS 2017 after installing Telerik (so VS2017 doesn't have Telerik plug ins).  The "Quick Actions" menu option on that is working perfectly.  

For now, as a work-around since I'm just testing the tools out, I can use VS2015 for Telerik stuff, and work in 2017 for production things.

Garo
Telerik team
answered on 19 Apr 2017, 01:54 PM
Hello,

I am stepping in for my colleague Iliev.

I have tested this on my machine as well and I was unable to reproduce the issue. Unfortunately, without being able to reproduce the issue locally, I can only recommend approaches that might resolve the issue.
  • Repair the Visual Studio installation.
  • Delete the MEF cache. For Visual Studio 2015 it is located in the %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache folder.
  • Verify if you have modified any of the settings mentioned in this StackOverflow thread.

Please, let me know if this is helpful or we should continue to investigate this further.

Regards,
Garo
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
WH
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Apr 2017, 02:57 PM
Thank you, I'll give these methods a try and let you know.
WH
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Apr 2017, 05:56 PM

[quote]Repair the Visual Studio installation.[/quote]

I repaired Visual Studio.  No success.  Light bulb/Quick Actions still missing.

[quote]Delete the MEF cache. For Visual Studio 2015 it is located in the %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache folder.[/quote]

This is a little odd.  I looked on my PC and could not find any such folder as the "ComponentModelCache" under VisualStudio\14.0 (or anywhere else)- perhaps this is a problem.

I did find this tool by Mads Christiensen that says it clears the MEF Cache:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=MadsKristensen.ClearMEFComponentCache

I tried running it, it didn't change anything the problem still persists.  (I expected it would since I don't have that folder).

[quote]Verify if you have modified any of the settings mentioned in this StackOverflow thread.[/quote]

I had stumbled upon that same StackOverflow thread before posting on here. I did take another look, but this doesn't seem to be the problem either.

In summary VS2015 still is broken for me since installing Telerik.  That said, I have installed VS2017 since I reported this problem and VS2017 doesn't have the same problem (although I haven't added Telerik to VS2017 yet).

I've got a couple of months of work coming up now on legacy code changes where I won't need/use Telerik, so I'm just going to stick to VS2017 without Telerik for now.  Once that is done, I'll try adding Telerik to VS2017 and cross my fingers that the same thing doesn't happen.  I'll let you know if 2017 has a problem when I install Telerik.

For now, I'm not worried that VS2015 is broken now that I have VS2017.

Thank you for your help.

Garo
Telerik team
answered on 21 Apr 2017, 10:08 AM
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that the suggested approaches did not help you to resolve the issue.

Based on your last reply I understand the issue is not critical and you have an acceptable alternative. Nevertheless, we will continue our attempts to reproduce this behavior in order to investigate it further. I will notify you if we make any progress.

Having said that, when you decide to install the AppBuilder extension on Visual Studio 2017, please let us know if you experience the same issue again.

Regards,
Garo
Telerik by Progress
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
WH
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
iliev
Telerik team
WH
Top achievements
Rank 1