This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Runtime edition question

5 Answers 146 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
Shashi asked on 05 May 2011, 09:59 PM
Hello,

Do we need Developer version installed on a server that simply builds a VS2010 project of WebUI tests and then runs those tests?  Or is Runtime edition sufficient for that?  Note:  We do not need to edit the tests on this server. 

I am asking this question in the following context:

We have set up a TFS2010-based test environment which uses WebUI as the test runner (we are currently using the 2010 R3 version).  Here is the setup:

Developers have WebUI Developer or WebUI QA.
Tests from both versions are integrated into a Visual Studio 2010 project on one of the developer's machines (which has the Developer version installed) and checked in to TFS (let's call the TFS server ServerA).
The tests are built using a TFS build controller and TFS build agent which are both on a remote server (let's call this server ServerB).
The output files (dlls, aii files, xml files) are delivered to a folder on ServerB.
The tests can then be run either from Microsoft Test Manager or using tcm.exe - using a TFS test agent which is also running on ServerB.

The question is: Do we need WebUI Developer installed on ServerB - or is Runtime Edition sufficient?

Also, how will this change when we upgrade to the 2011 R1 version?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shashi

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 May 2011, 02:11 PM
Can someone address this question?

Thanks,
Shashi
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 11 May 2011, 09:39 PM
Hello Shashi,
    I apologize for the late response.

Runtime edition should be sufficient on your server if you only plan to build and run tests. R1 doesn't introduce any significant changes to Runtime edition (however, it does introduce changes in the way we distribute Qa and Dev edition). Take a look here for more details:
http://admin.telerik.com/%27http://www.telerik.com/automated-testing-tools/whats-new-full-story.aspx

All the best,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Do you think you know all the new features coming out in Test Studio R1 2011? Think again - we have some surprises and will share them with you in the What's New in Test Studio R1 2011 Webinar on May 12th.
Register Today!
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Sep 2011, 01:05 AM
Stoich (others are welcome to answer as well),

I am setting up a test server (Windows Server 2008) to build and run tests under WebUI 2011 in conjunction with Microsoft TFS 2010 and Microsoft Test Manager.  The setup is exactly the same as specified in my original email on this thread EXCEPT as follows:
a) All developers will use the Developer plugin
b) We will use Test Studio 2011 instead of WebUI 2010

NOTE:  The new server I am setting up will be Server B in my description.

I see two flavors of WebUI 2011 in my account - one is a full version and the other is labeled Runtime (it comes down as Execution Server).  Is it sufficient to install the Execution Server or do we need the full product to meet our needs?  Again, tests will only be built and run on this server - there will be no editing.  We will also not be using the scheduling and other capabilities of the Execution engine - this will be handled by TFS/Test Manager.

Please advise - and thank you for your help.

Thanks,
Shashi

Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Sep 2011, 08:27 PM
It would be great if someone can help with this ...

Thanks,
Shashi
Accepted
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 06 Sep 2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Shashi,
  yes, it sounds like Runtime edition will suffice. Runtime edition is meant for building and running tests. Let me know if you have any problem with getting your testing configuration to work.

Regards,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Vote for Telerik Test Studio at the Annual Automation Honors Voting!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
Stoich
Telerik team