This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadMenu Customization

1 Answer 117 Views
Menu
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
John-Eric
Top achievements
Rank 2
John-Eric asked on 05 Jan 2011, 10:32 PM
I am trying to customize our rad menu to look more like the menu seen here: 

http://demos.telerik.com/silverlight/#Menu/Customization

However the only information i can find is this little article: 

http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radmenu-how-to-create-multicolumn-menu.html

which is the first part of what im trying to accomplish. 

The problem that I am encountering is that when trying to style the multi column menu with the usual template styles is that the itemContainerStyle and the template style for the radmenu appear to overwrite one another.

Are there any articles or resources which might help me out with this ?

Thanks =D

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Pana
Telerik team
answered on 12 Jan 2011, 09:04 AM
Hello John-Eric,

I am sorry but we do not have good customization tutorials about the RadMenu. Perhaps it is time to create one but have no schedule for one. I can however try to help you as much as I can.

You speak for somewhat  "ItemContainerStyle and the template style for the RadMenu appear to overwrite one another"... You can simply use ItemContainerStyle with a Style that set Template. RadMenu and RadMenuItem both can have sub menu items. And some of them can have further sub menu items. We have 4 different type of items - top and sub level items which can be expandable or not based on if they have RadMenuItem children. If you want to use the ItemContainerStyle you have to set all 4 templates to make it work. Otherwise one of the 4 templates will override the default sometime.

Also it does not work well in blend since the styles are displayed incorrectly in the design surface.

Also I am attaching the RadMenu style for office_black in case you do not have it. You can find there all default templates and how are they set on the RadMenu:

<Setter Property="TopLevelHeaderTemplateKey" Value="{StaticResource TopLevelHeaderTemplate}" />
<Setter Property="TopLevelItemTemplateKey" Value="{StaticResource TopLevelItemTemplate}" />
<Setter Property="SubmenuHeaderTemplateKey" Value="{StaticResource SubMenuHeaderTemplate}" />
<Setter Property="SubmenuItemTemplateKey" Value="{StaticResource SubMenuItemTemplate}" />
<Setter Property="SeparatorTemplateKey" Value="{StaticResource SeparatorTemplate}" />
<Setter Property="Template" Value="{StaticResource SubMenuItemTemplate}" />

Best wishes,
Pana
the Telerik team
Let us know about your Windows Phone 7 application built with RadControls and we will help you promote it. Learn more>>
Tags
Menu
Asked by
John-Eric
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Pana
Telerik team
Share this question
or