This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q2 2012 Install

11 Answers 209 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Zik
Top achievements
Rank 2
Zik asked on 12 Jun 2012, 03:53 AM
The Q2 2012 install did not register itself with Visual Studio (I'm using VS 2010 Express for Windows Phone).  The Q1 install did.  What I mean by that is, when I go add a reference to a project the Telerik assemblies do not show up in the list (.NET tab).  I can navigate to the DLLs manually but it was much cleaner in the Q1 release where they were automatically there.

I upgraded from Q1 to Q2 using the control panel.  I then tried downloading and running the install manually (after uninstalling the Q2 release) and it's still no-go.  I did notice when doing the manual install the integrate with Visual Studio options had little X's next to them and were grayed out.  Presumably because I have the Express edition installed, but the Q1 release didn't have an issue with that.

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Morgan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 13 Jun 2012, 02:01 AM
I would have to say I am seeing the same behavior.  Vs.NET 2010 SP1 Ultimate.  Every project I have now for widnows phones I have to manually register the controls with the toolbox.

this is less than optimal.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jun 2012, 10:21 AM
Hello guys,

I am sorry for caused inconvenience.

Indeed we removed the registration of the RadControls for Windows Phone in the 'Add Reference' dialog because it was causing issues with the VS Extensions for Windows Phone.

I hope that this isn't causing much difficulties using the RadControls for Windows Phone.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jun 2012, 12:48 PM
I cannot upgrade to Q2, when I press upgrade in VS I see an upgrade wizzard log which says that it is upgraded successfully, but my dll versions are still 2012.1.321.2040, and I don't see a a Q2 version in programfiles either.. also if I go to products download I can only see a download trial option... what is going wrong here?
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jun 2012, 12:53 PM
Don't tell me that I need to buy it separately, because I have just bought telerik a few weeks ago...
Mat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Jun 2012, 11:26 AM
Grr.  This manual toolbox configuring is a nuisance.  If you guys are going to remove the add reference functionality to allow easily adding it to the toolbox, can you at least introduce functionality into the VSExtension allowing automatic toolbox config?  I think I'll fire in a quick ticket or whatever and see if there's a better solution than doing it manually.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jun 2012, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

First I want to excuse for the misleading information that I have provided. We haven't removed the integration with the 'Add reference' dialog. If you don't see the Telerik assemblies in the 'Add reference' dialog then I suggest you to run installation repair using the msi installation package.

Doug, as far as I understand you have tried to upgrade using the latest hotfix zip package but something has gone wrong. You don't see the Q2 version in the Program Files because you didn't use the msi installation package. I encourage you to download and use the Q2 msi installation package. You are eligible to download it since it is covered by your subscription. You can find the file under your Telerik account in the 'Manage products'
section. If you need any further assistance I suggest you to open a formal support ticket.

Mat, currently we don't have automatic Toolbox integration for RadControls for Windows Phone because it is not supported by Visual Studio yet. We will try to provide you help regarding your issue in the ticket that you have opened.

Kind regards,
Petar
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jun 2012, 01:22 PM
Yes that helped, thank you
Zik
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Jun 2012, 01:19 AM
Hi Petar.  I downloaded the MSI installer for the 2012 Q2 release and ran it, selected Repair, but the assemblies still do not show up in the Add Reference dialog.  I had previously tried uninstalling and reinstalling but they are still not there.  Any suggestions?
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jun 2012, 11:07 AM
Hello,

The integration with the 'Add reference' dialog is done through the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight for WindowsPhone\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\RadControls for Windows Phone 7 - for 64 bit Windows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight for WindowsPhone\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\RadControls for Windows Phone 7 - for 32 bit Windows

Can you make sure that you have this registry entry? It should point to the location where the Telerik assemblies are placed. If this is correct then you should be able to see the RadControls in the 'Add reference' dialog. Keep in mind that they appear under the 'Extensions' tab located at the left side of the dialog.

I hope this will help.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team

Zik
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Jun 2012, 01:28 PM
Hi Petar,

I don't have either of those keys.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.  I have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ 
Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight for WindowsPhone\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx
but there is no RadControls for Windows Phone 7 key.  On the other side I have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs but none of the other keys.

I added the key manually to the Wow6432Node branch and it all works now.  So that's was the problem, for some reason setup wasn't adding that registry key.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 26 Jun 2012, 01:55 PM
Hi,

This registry key is part of the VS Extensions feature of the installation package. It seems that the feature wasn't selected for installation for some reason and as a result isn't added during installation repair too. You can check whether the feature is selected by running installation modify operation.

I am glad that manually adding the registry helped to get things working again.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team

Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Zik
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Morgan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Petar