This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q1 2010 Media Player Buttons & Properties

2 Answers 66 Views
MediaPlayer
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Lee Sauer
Top achievements
Rank 1
Lee Sauer asked on 24 May 2010, 09:26 PM
Greetings,

I've been working my way through the RadControls for Silverlight tutorial document, and I've come up against several issues.

1. In defining the properties of a RadMediaItem, the Description property seems to be being ignored.  After checking my spelling of the word "Description", I tried using the VS 2010 intellisense to set it and discovered that the Description property no longer seems to exist for this control.  Is my assumption correct, or am I making some error that I have yet to identify?

2. Although my XAML definition of my item and media player are identical to those in the tutorial, my player controls are very different from those in the tutorial example.  Specifically, from my point of view, I no longer have a "Stop" button, only the "Pause".  I took a look at the control template, and the button layout shown there does not seem to be available.  To me, Pause and Stop are very different user actions, and call for different behaviors, so it seems strange that Stop should be entirely missing.  Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks for your help,

Lee Sauer

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Lee Sauer
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 May 2010, 10:04 PM
A further bit of information.  I was using version 2010.1.422.1040 of the media player dll.  I just downloaded the courseware project and tried its project.  It worked as expected, displaying the description and all the expected control buttons.  I checked out the dll and discovered that the version was 2009.3.1314.1030.  When I replaced the dll's in the project I built, the functionality was changed to work as described in the tutorial.

Therefore, you seem to have made a change in the Q1 2010 version that eliminates the description and many of the control buttons.

I can understand changing the product so that it ADDS functionality, but I'm confused why you would REMOVE existing functionality from a later version.

Please help me to understand this.

Thanks,

Lee Sauer
Miro Miroslavov
Telerik team
answered on 27 May 2010, 12:47 PM
Hello Lee Sauer,

MediaPlayer is almost entirely new control, so in order to have clearer API we've marked some properties as obsolete (like Description...), but we've added the ability to define the content of playlist items exactly as you wish to.
For example this way you can define description:
    <player:RadMediaItem.Header>
        <StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal">
            <TextBlock Text="Description here" FontWeight="Normal" />
            <TextBlock Text="Title here" FontWeight="Normal"/>                 
        </StackPanel>
    </player:RadMediaItem.Header>      
</player:RadMediaItem>

Also we've decided that stop button should be optional and we've expose it's functionality via MediaCommands.Stop command. You can define a button where you want to and hook it's Command property to that command and it'll work.
So we didn't remove existing functionality, but expose it in slightly different and more accurate way.
Thank you for your understanding.

Greetings,
Miro Miroslavov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Tags
MediaPlayer
Asked by
Lee Sauer
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Lee Sauer
Top achievements
Rank 1
Miro Miroslavov
Telerik team